People breed, inbreed, interbreed, cross and hybridise ...

Got a nameless bromeliad? Maybe we can help you here.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
Constantino Gastaldi

People breed, inbreed, interbreed, cross and hybridise ...

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

... I mean, the plants! People cross and turn to cross and hybridise their bromelias up to a point they lose the track, the patch. No patch finder can snif the start point anymore!
I live in Brazil and I have the true Dyckia brevifolia and some natural variants. I got astonished and mesmerized seeing some of your pictures and one saying to the other: look how beautiful is my Dyckia brevifolia There is not a hint for that to be a brevifolia. The monster is beautiful, no doubt (... and I woud like to have one)but the guy should not name it brevifolia anymore! He lost the track or never was in it. Dyckias are momocarpic, that means they do not melt after flowering. They keep on growing. There are native plants here with more them 500 years. Those are plants from the Cerrado and they produce a stem along the time or as time passes by.
You forgot what you have done and create a big confusion, a mass. The guys here use to say, oh, look my new aquisition, I bought it from Mr... from such a place and so on. Proudly showing a gnu instead of an impala, a zebra instead of a donkey. The costly the plant the more trustable the vendor. No! Most problably this vendor or as you wish producer or source is a ... (You name it). The guy simply never steped out of his comforable home, never saw tha native plants in their habitats and trusted everybody. Like those beginners fron the 18Th century, just wait for the plants to come. You the buyers go on like clowns. "Send to the clowns", The music!
There is not any non monocarpic Dyckia! This is the main reason for they to be one of the most wanted plant among bromelias. They are very, very, very easy going and lay down with everyone! Easy! They have the heart and the soul of a streed whore. Cross with everything and produce everything literally. The trustable source ought not to use seeds! Seeds are dangerous. How can you trust on seeds of a street whore? But you do, you do and get pround of the newborn monster and name it as tit was the more absolutely pure strain! I got aback whem some of you stated: look at my new baby! Dyckia so and so... "Aba nein! Nicht! Das ist nicht vah!!" My god!!!! My hat! My foot and feet!
Yes, yes, yes, I know and I love some! Hybrids are lovely! Not just this! We are alive just ´cause the hybrids. We have food to eat ´cause the hybrid maize, and the hybrid wheat, rice, soybean and so on... a better kind. The americans removed the injurios, flesh eating and mortiferous teeth of the Dyckia encholirioide ( native less than 50km from here) and painted it with silver sheen. Nice! They name it Naked Lady. A very adequated naming: the edentulous beast got nice at last. That is a hand to God! That´s a step ahead! But do not say: " Look at my new Dyckia encholirioide!"
We simply can not trust on seeds, mostly those produced out of their native corners. Out of their places they go mad and produce flowers in times never imaged here. Me in my turn, can not interbreed a Dyckia brevifolia and a Dyckia marnier. They flower in diferent times of the year. To say and state this is it. This it must be a clone, produced by off shots of the mother plant or tissue culture or collected in the wilderness (forbidden by law, every where in this country, and a crime against nature. It is worst than killing a human being...)
Now a prophane problem: I have many shots of Dychias in my PC but I can not manage to sent then. They are into de ACDsee photo viewer or what so over, and I can not get then out yet. You will see some natives including mysef, soon.
Ah, please, let me tell you all a secret: people usually travel to my country, once here the do some incurtion the some special bromelia plance. People do not expedict to this country since long, long ago. Guess the last one was the intrepid german scientist Humbolt. I can not make an expedition to New York anymore but I can stroll on Central Park and do some expedition to The South Pole to watch the penguins and the ice melting. Here you can expedict to some remote areas as some places in the amazon Bacin but to expedicto to the whole country? No! São Paulo is larger than London and Paris and Muchen altogether. ...and I am very sorry, but I am not a indian (unhappily) please. Leave your collor beads and mirros at home!Lov u all.
Constantino, in Brasil, with "s"
gonzer

Beitrag von gonzer »

Excellent post Constanino! My post below infers to the same topic. I hope the Euro-group and Chanin (especially for this post) respond with some personal insight. The random name-tagging of plants has run amok. The market is being deluged with plants that have catchy names and high-end price tags but the provenance in many cases is lacking.
Constantino Gastaldi

That is a miracle: I´ve got a reply...

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

gonzer hat geschrieben:Excellent post Constanino! My post below infers to the same topic. I hope the Euro-group and Chanin (especially for this post) respond with some personal insight. The random name-tagging of plants has run amok. The market is being deluged with plants that have catchy names and high-end price tags but the provenance in many cases is lacking.
"gonzer" Dearest of all:
Thanks, so I assume you´ve pardon me for my errors with your language. Hope I can help with the plants.
Constantino
Antworten