Dyckia hebdingii from Constantino's collection

Got a nameless bromeliad? Maybe we can help you here.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
chanin

Dyckia hebdingii from Constantino's collection

Beitrag von chanin »

This thread has been posted from a requirement of our good friend, Constantino
on the topic of Dyckia hebdingii L.B. Smith :

Bild

Constantino mentioned that :

I must say something about this jewel. This plants was collected 600 km South from where I live.
Porto Alegre (Joyfull Harbour) is a big Brazilian Metropolis. This plants grows in a tiny area close to this town.
It grows in a granitic slope facing North. The city is the capital of the Southern most state of Brazil,
just after Santa Catarina where I live.

This plant stands cold, temperatures up to 8 degreees below zero (centigrades!).
Of course we never have such a temperature for more than a very few hours,
You could not keep it in this temperature for more than 12 hours!

This plant was collected 60 days ago. It shows damages.
In nature, the plants struggle to survive so they show some scars.
Cultivating plants are perfect cause they grow or shoul grow in very controlled surroundings.

Bild

- This is a small plant. It is a emerald green /silvery blue dyckia. In no other specie we find this colour.
- The leaves are very succulent, swollen and in this respect resemmbles that of the Aloe brevifolia (there is one close by)
- This plant is a ancient one, it bears a reptant trunk. Reptant trunks are commom with very old individuals.
It is a trunk close to the ground, on or under the soil. Reptant means reptile like.
- This plant is begenning to divide, as you cam observe from the upper view.

Bild

- It bears the leftovers of several flower stalks in betwween the lower leaves.
- There is not even a hint of past side sprouting. It reproduces by seeds.
- It is a very rare species and controlled. This was a gift from a scientist that studies these plants in the wilderness.
In nture there is no more than a few, a very few individuals.
- Here in Joinville, we are studyng the possibility for tissue culturing from cell located at the leaves axilas,
or from cells of the flower stalk.
- To me there is no other plant that is more beautiful than this one.
I love the special individuals of the concentric form of the Agave victoriae reginae,
but this is much more stricking.
From the xeric plants, including all succulents and cacti, there is no othe close to thi beauty.

Ah, this plant is a Dyckia hebdingii.
There are two or three photos in the internet but those are not D. hebdingii in any way or this one came from heavens.
Thank you
Constantino.
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Constantino Gastaldi

Thanks to Chanin. "We are the world, we are the childre

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

Hi:
When two worlds colide or meet this is the result: knowledge and kindness.
Everyone on Earth should be this way! The world is a shrank petit pois! Me, from the jaguar land and Chanin from the tiger land.
Dank
Thanks
Prosit, für dier, fille ( It shoul be German!)
A toast to u, many!
Obrigado
Um brinde a você. muitos
Portuguese! How do I say in Thai?
I will play de Samba, the most beautiful one in honor to the knowledge, wisdom and kindness. People all around the globe should be this way!
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi Constantino,

I would say "Khob Khun" for "Thank you" sharing your collection pic to us
who live in other part of Dyckia's world.

Actually, I have known this most beautiful Dyckia before I've been interested in
these group of xeric brom years ago, as I have had a book,
ROMELIACEAE III by Frncisco Oliva-Esteve
which has a figure of this species taken by Prof. Werner Rauh,
so I guess there would be a living specimen of Dyckia hebdingii in Heidelberg Bot. Gard. too.

I do hope your friends will be successfully able to propagate this beauty
and sharing them to the "green hand" people around the world,
as the power of love from the Mother Nature.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

From the pictures I wouldn't have thought that Constantino's plant is the same species like the one in the book. But even within a species with such a tiny distribution, some variability is expected.

Please Constantino, get your plants to flower and try to prevent accidental cross pollination. Would be phantastic if this species could be propagated. Bromeliophiles around the world would say 谢谢 :-)

Cheers,
Joachim
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi Joachim, you wouldn't noticed that the pic in Fransico's book shows the plant in cultivation,
which normally will be different in some characteristics : less succulent, thiner, longer also fewer glaucous on leaves surface, as received less amount of sun light.
Anyway, the natural variation or a distincguished species have to be waited for Constantino's flowering.
Constantino Gastaldi

Joaquim means little john. NBice name!

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

Joaquim, this is a latim name. It is very pleasant to our ears ´cause it is full of vowel sounds as my language, Portuguese. That´s a very old name and we all like. The Portuguese love this name and the Brazilian oly one true hero was Joaquim José da Silva Xavier.
Well, our friend from the tiger land is always full with reasons to be right and he is as right as ever! That is a colectet plant. In fact its leaves are literaly swollen as a perfect succulent. Its leaves are the way they should ever be everywhere. Note, dyckias are sun lovers to the extreme! If you in the uptstairs of the planet do not increase the sun ilumination you will never get to this. You in Europe have a very weak sun. You do not know what I think when you state: "ah this is such a plant or such..." I t is the same as pointing to a zebra and saying: " ah, look at this arabian horse..." It may be the same plant but two main things play the role to the difference in such a degree, in fact three:
1- Facts related to the cultivation, per se, like nutrition, water, temperature and so on.
2- The usual, regular and far too commom lack of strong light. The immense variety of Dyckias hate anything between then and their lover, the sun. Put nothing in between then! If you want to protect your plant, give it sun. It must be very expensive to correct culture a dyckia in Lenningrade, Holland or Moscow and so on ... you hardly have enough sun for you to live healthy. Some of you have carrara marble skin. We say "palmito", palm hearted legs To cultivate a dyckia in Moscow is the same as to rear a Polar bear here in our Amazon basin. It is possible, but it takes a lot of skills and money! Unless you are happy to share you living with a meager, unhappy and dying white bear, not even a shadow of that majestic animal.
So, imagine what I think when somebody states "oh dast ist meine schoennes flantzen, Dyckia forestiana..." Immer mit einer elongated, thin, pale, monstruosity plant!
So please you should understand the reason for this plants to survive in very hard enviroment. This is always for the sun! Dyckias are in very rush enviroments ´cause there they hardly have to compete for the sun. They did everything possible for their lover. They climbed the higthest hills, they took the stone island in the white running waters migthy river, they took vast extension of sandy bars close to the ocean getting salt but getting sun. They took elevated scarps and slopes. They learnt to florish on stones clives. They are in places that just a very few plants dared to go.
Dychias, to be kept as they should, it is a task we are just begenning to understand.
3- You hardly know what u have. The plants are so inbreed and interbreed that you missed the track along the way. Not even a good old american native patchfinder would find the way. In most cases you do not have the zebra nor the arabian horse but hardly a fancy donkey or a polka doted zebra. Yes this is good or this may be good but you must have in mind that Dyckias lay down with anyone. A blooming lady must be kept isolated even from the pollutet air around.
Dyckia keeping is for those who have time, money, skills and willingness of knowing. Those madames are demanding and alluring. They are for the expertized gardner.
All Brazilan garden lover would be veru happy to have lots of tulips, yellow, reds in all shades and forms. I live in South and South here means cold. We did have some snow, once in 10 years, hardly covering anything and melting right away. We import tulips and some try to cultivate them. They come too small, colorless and when one blooms nothing could be a bit uglier. Here tulips are gorgeous in pictures.
The same, in the same degree, happens with most of the European/American Dyckias.
If I love dyckias I would say: try tulips!
Love, Liebe,Amor, Amour, Amore = plant caring
Be good, be nice, behave and be blessed
Constantino - always willing to be shot.
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Beitrag von Timm Stolten »

We do still have a specimen of Dyckia hebdingii in our collection,
which came originally from the private collection of Marnier-Lapostolle
"Les Cedres" in France.
This is where Mr. Hebding used to work and it is very likely that our plant is a
clone of the type-plant.
Unfortunately I haven't checked that in the database yet.

I remember that it flowered a long time ago and that the inflorescence
was extremely tall, from the memory I would say more than 1 meter.
It used to be an old big clump of at least 15 to 20 plants.
But when I tried to divide it, nearly all plant died accept this one.
Seems to be a very slow grower (or my cultivation conditions are wrong).

Maybe I can take a picture within the next days.

Greetings Timm
║▌║▌║█║║▌║█║ Warnung! Falscher oder fehlender Kaffee - Benutzer angehalten
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Timm, I would like to see the specimen in HBG collection (^_^)

And, here some more Constantino's pics

The plant was dividing.

Bild

A younger specimen.

Bild
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Hi Chanin,

I will be back at work on monday and give it another try.

Greetings, Timm
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Hi Chanin
today I finally got the time to take some pictures of my Dyckia hepdingii.
Unfortunately the light was very bad and the flowers where no longer
blooming, but I hope the pics will give you an idea of the size and features of that plant.

Check the following link for images in full scale:
http://picasaweb.google.com/TimmStolten/DyckiaHebdingii

Greetings to Thailand,

Timm

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Thank you Timm :D

And I saw the plant set seeds too :wink:

By the way, have you ever seen any Dyckia in your collection
which look alike this pic. It was collected from somewhere in Brasil by an american collector.
The plant is going to bloom, with about 14 inches in diameter.

Bild
Antworten