ENCHOLIRIUM magalhaesii???

Got a nameless bromeliad? Maybe we can help you here.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
RawBear

ENCHOLIRIUM magalhaesii???

Beitrag von RawBear »

Hi all!

I from small city in Russia. Unfortunately we have not enough bromeliads-fancier, therefore your forum is very interesting to me.

Prompt what is it can be? Has received from Brazil from farm Alvim Seidel as ENCHOLIRIUM magalhaesii.

Bild

But at me doubt, what is it this species. Completely not similar in a photo from the Internet.

Thanks!

OFF: I am sorry for bad English.
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi Rawbear :lol:

I'm one of spiny-brom lover, have collected many of xerophytic succulent bromeliads for a while.
Two years ago, I got a shipment from Tarrington Exotics of Mr. Rudolf Schultz in Australia,
amongst of his xeric plants he sent to me there were a dozen of Encholirium
most of them have been unidentified and enclosed with a collection numbers.
One of them Encholorium sp # 6 had determined as Encholirium magalhaesii via Derek Butcher
I also found that his "sp. #3" appears to be the same, only a little bit different in leaf's spines.
Please take a look an article in the link herewith :

http://www.bromeliad.org.au/news/DD1006b.htm

I use to post the pics of my Encholirium#6 and #3 in a previous post
please take a look herewith:

viewtopic.php?t=1329

From your pic, it look rather different from Encholirium's succulent habit.
Though it could be a young seedling, but comparing to the tag size,
I guess your plant is rather bigger than a seedling.

In my opinion, I think your plant look like a species in genus Bromelia
or if it was an Encholirium, it should be another kind.
Anyway, we will find it out when it get bloom, right ?

Glad to know a spiny lover overthere :wink:
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Welcome to the Forum!

To be honest, I don't have a clue regarding the correctness of that name. But it does look like Encholirium in general. ;-) I agree that compared to the E. magalhaesii plants pictured e.g. at fcbs.org yours looks very different. But who knows if those plants are properly named? Sometimes erroneous identifications get propagated and are later hard to eliminate. It is therefore always preferable to carefully keep wild origin information, if available. If you got your plant from Brazil, there might be a chance that the nursery can provide that information to you.

Anyway, it is good to know brom enthusiasts in Russia. What are the most popular bromeliads where you live? Do you have special interest in xerics?

Cheers,
Joachim
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Oop... :roll: Sorry dead link !

viewtopic.php?t=1329

RowBear, could you please told me that, are there any list of Dyckia, Orthophytum,
another Encholirium or Cryptanthus species in Seidel's catalog ?
I'm quite interested in order some species.
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
RawBear

Beitrag von RawBear »

Сhanin, thanks!
I was confused with thin leaves and the size of a plant. To order plants it is necessary being guided on a photo on the Internet, by them this
Encholirium should be small and succulent. I have already written to nursery and I look forward to hearing.
And, certainly, we shall wait for flowering, can then we find out that it.

Сhanin, I shall write to you on е-mail :)

Joachim, the most popular bromeliads at lovers in Russia - Tillandsia.
Also the big interest to Cryptanthus and Neoregelia, but at us is not enough their variety. The basic problem that there is no place to get them, basically only those species and hybrids which are sold by the Dutch suppliers.
At me is on one-two species of plants from genus
Acanthostachys, Aechmea, Ananas, Billbergia, Canistrum, Catopsis, Cryptanthus, Dyckia, Edmundoa, Encholirium (on a photo), Fosterella, Guzmania, Hohenbergia, Lymania, Neoregelia, Nidularium, Ortophytum, Pitcairnia, Vriesea and more than 100 variety Tillandsia.

Хerics bromeliads at us practically is not present. I could not find any more the lovers in Russia at which they is. I am interested xerics bromeliads only year though others bromeliads I have almost 20 years. But to find something it has appeared it is practically impossible.

Cheers,
Alex
Alex
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi friends :) I found one of my Encholirium sp. # 6 that I obtained from Tarrington Exotic Plants
of Mr Rudolf Schulz in Australia years ago has already bloomed :shock:
It was determined as Encholirium magalhaesii , please see the link.

This was the plant, last week.
Bild

This was took yesterday.
Bild

Bild
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

The flowers have opened.

Bild

Bild
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Up to date...and someone told me that mine could be Encholiorium subsecundum ?! Any idea ?

Bild

Bild

Actually, I have kept an Encholirium which determined as E. subsecundum
(the bigger plant on the left) but it never flowered yet.

Bild
Antworten