Dyckia dawsonii ?

Got a nameless bromeliad? Maybe we can help you here.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

chanin

Dyckia dawsonii ?

Beitrag von chanin »

I received this Dyckia from a well-known collector in USA.
The plant has been labeled as a true Dyckia dawsonii, but...Timm
Do you have any specimen of this striking species in HBG, or a pic of the type.
And if possible, I would like to see the original of the type specimen descriptions.

Bild

Bild

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Hello Chanin,

viewtopic.php?p=6163
remember this plant? Looks strikingly similar to your plant, don't you agree? This plant at the Zürich Succulent Collection has a Dawson collection number so I strongly suspect it may be the type clone. Cyrill, any comment?

Please reserve the 2nd offset for me :) I hope I can swap it one day for the second offset of Dy. x "Brittle Star" ;)

Cheers,
Joachim
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Actually, I agree with you, but I've noticed that the SSS plant has some different spination.
They do toward the leaves's tip, while my plant seem to be more compact
with rather bigger and reverse spination.
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi again Joachim, they come up...

Bild

And also this one Dyckia dawsonii 'Pink spines'

Bild
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

This is how that little pup looks like today:
Bild
It rooted very quickly and is growing well. I repotted it a couple days ago and the 6cm pot was full of roots that had developed in less than 4 months. Seems to be one of the easier Dyckias, at least under my conditions, and certainly deserves wide distribution. Probably not a good companion for small kids or cats though, as the spines are indeed as vicious as they look like!

Cheers,
Joachim
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

That's great :shock: and you will love this guy...

Bild
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi all spiney lovers :D

Since last month, my Dyckia dawsonii 'Pink Spine' have bloomed.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Pollinators!

Bild

Bild
GerFi

Beitrag von GerFi »

Hallo Chanin,

your Dyckia dawsonii is the superlative schlechthin!

Here two pictures of my D.dawsonii:

Bild
Bild

When i see your dawsonii, i'm not shure, that my dawsonii is right.

Tschau
Gerhard
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi Gerhard :D

I also have that clone from Michael's Bromeliads, it's quite different from the first one.

This is mine, the Michael's clone.

Bild
GerFi

Beitrag von GerFi »

Hi Chanin,

my is from Michael too.
May be the leaves will be narrow the next years.

Viele Grüße
Gerhard
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Unless one studies the variability in habitat, it is really hard to judge whether the plant from Michael's is "true" Dy. dawsonii. Who knows, it may be a hybrid, but also may well be another end member of what is naturally a rather variable species. It may even be a natural hybrid.

The only true Dy. dawsonii is of course the type clone. The Zürich collection keeps a Dy. dawsonii with Dawson field number, which thus may be the type clone but I am not sure. Cyrill, can you elaborate on that? Anyway, even if it is not the type clone, the collector being Dawson suggests that is is probably very close. Having seen both Chanin's (the one at the top of this discussion) and the Zürich plants, I can assure that both are very close if not identical.

The plants from Michael's are clearly different and unless this species is found to be extremely variable in habitat, I would really be very careful with the naming and write a big question mark on the tag.

Cheers,
Joachim
GerFi

Beitrag von GerFi »

Hallo Joachim,

o.k. i have set the Flag-Bit to unsure. :oops:

Viele Grüße
Gerhard
Constantino Gastaldi

All incredeble nice and good looking dyckias but .....

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

Hi, I think one more time we are pointing a gnu and saying look at my pretty zebra.
Dyckias out of Brazil or any other country they are native to have to be looked twice and even so stay a step behind before naming them.
Some plants are impressive and much more beautiful them their native counterparts but it is very difficult to state this is it or this or that. Dyckia dawsonii has only one appearence and just one. People in here show more than just one. It may cary some of the dawsonii characteristics very or almost not detectable by the common eyes. Of course there may be some dyckia dawsonii blood in those plants but they are not dawsonii and it seems for a long long time. These are not dawsonii for as much as they may look like one and no matter who stated that. Care must be taken.
Dyckias are extreme lovers and they cross in a blink when there is another dyckia around altready in bloom. People who live on dyckia may not take care in order to produce pure strains even so the hibrids are much more beautiful in many times and turn to be much more easier to cultivate than the native ones.
Dyckias also are a headhacke for the toxonomists and it takes much more time to deal with one dyckia than any other bromeliad.
I´ve been traveling a lot and found lots of Dyckia in their native wilderness. We have lots to learn. In Brazil it is known, just two or three sites in nature where Dyckias are aglomerated ( two or more species grow together or close enoug to inbreed.), where two or more species are close ou were close to one another and generating natural hibrids to ´cause some differences in appearence. Dyckia dawsoni has no other species close to it to generate any other form of dawsonii. They may be redder, greener ou a bit more or less silvery but they are extremely equal. Nevertheless such plants are gorgeous and one quality about dyckias is for sure the fact they are far more less time consuming to produce a new breed than an orchid for instance.
I do not know how to post pics here, any help, please let me know.
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Beitrag von Timm Stolten »

@Chanin: Your images are as always simply mind blowing.

I would love to have one of those but I haven't seen it anywhere here in europe so far. :cry:

Would it be possibly to use some of the for the BromWki?
There is still a need for images.

Best regards,

Timm
║▌║▌║█║║▌║█║ Warnung! Falscher oder fehlender Kaffee - Benutzer angehalten
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Hello Constantino,

I support your doubts in general. Yet in this case after having seen a Dyckia dawsonii with Dawson field number, I do believe that Chanin's plant (the clone shown at the top) is a true D. dawsonii. On the other hand I am quite doubtful about any of the oher forms shown here and second your concern about naming them Dy. dawsonii. Those are beautiful plants and should be enjoyed, but that's it. No more, no less. We should instead encourage those guys who do have the documented plants to reproduce and distribute them as much as they can, first among scientific collections, of course. But also through guys like Chanin who live in a perfect climate for these plants and should take part in that endeavour.

Cheers,
Joachim
Antworten