Dyckia sp from My huge country, Brazil.

Got a nameless bromeliad? Maybe we can help you here.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
Constantino Gastaldi

Dyckia sp from My huge country, Brazil.

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

This plant comes from up North quite close to the Amazonian Region. I dare to state it is the brightest of all the Dyckias I have seen up to now. It is also one of the redder. There is one strain absolutely blood red.
Do you have seen this before? We know as Dyckia sp Colider.
Bild

This is some 5000km away from the upper. Dyckia sp from Rio Grande do Sul:
Bild

From Santa Catarina
Bild

Also a New Dyckia from Santa Catarina slopes
Bild

From Rio Grande do Sul. Have you seen this before?
Bild

From Santa Catarina, the newest silver plant
Bild

From North Rio Gande do Sul, a huge silver one
Bild

From down South Santa Catarina:
Bild

Look how the plants are found in wilderness. This one comes from North Santa Catarina. A master piece for any dyckia lover. Sure the first you see!
Bild

This plant bears huge teeth and comes from North of the country. I say it is Dyckia Cão.
Bild
Constantino Gastaldi

Nameless and beautiful

New, from Santa Catarina;
Bild

Bild

This enchanting charming beauty is native to Rio Gande do Sul:
Bild

This one comes from Santa Catarina, more then just superb, isn´t it? No one ever seen this before not even in pictures. Absolutely, tottaly new to any eyes.
Bild
El Fakir

Beitrag von El Fakir »

Bonjour,
There are some really nice and interesting form of Dyckia amongst the one you showed: amazing variability!!!
The last one from Santa Catarina with leaves from purple to light green and also the one with very green and thick leaves looking like an Aloe or Agave!
Do they all put on offset or some stay solitary?
Constantino Gastaldi

All Dyckias offsets, All and each it depends on....

Hi, my friend, sooner or later a Dyckia will pup ´cause Dyckias offset! They are all mad about reprodution and all and each of them do this at plenty.....Some take longer than others but it is their nature to pup. Some produces a ball of shoots and each mantain its crown perpendicular to the soil. That is the way they deal with the light and the water.
The one you say to look like an agave, yes its is a jewel and came from a place that has been destroyed in order to remove a reddish granit rock. There are two varieties of this plant up there. One that has even fewer spines and is much more silver and this one you saw. It is nameless and as far the Science moves its charriot...hummmm...the plant will be lost in nature namelessly. Its seeds looks like alpiste ( seed bird). All Dyckias in the word may be classified for the form of their seeds, Some Dyckias produce disco shaped seeds ( alllmuch more easily seen outside Brazil) and some as this one produce a alpiste like seed. Those that produce such seeds tend to produce tiny numerous meaninless flowers and are all from the South!
This one below is a fine exemple of a Dyckia that produces alpiste like seeds. This fact indicates it is a Southern plant and yes it is native to my state, Southwest Santa Catarina. A masterpiece of nature!
Bild

Mon cher, je vais avoir des semences de cette pourpre un en Janvier et je serais heureux de vous envoyer un peu comme un present. Quand janvier arrive et la neige est beaucoup à me faire connaître votre adresse postale, OK?
El Fakir

Beitrag von El Fakir »

Bonjour Constantino,
about the growing position of Dyckia, can you find any Dyckia growing on flat ground or gentle slopes (like it mays happen for some Hechtia or Puya)? Or because of the geographical situation (vegetation and rainy area of Brazil), it's always on cliffs or rocks?
About seeds structure, is there any close relation between structure and area and group plant of the different species of Dyckia?
Please, keep on posting pictures of new plants and plants of your collection!!

Merci beaucoup pour le petit présent que j'accepte avec grand plaisir.
Muito obrigado
Constantino Gastaldi

Dyckias are founf in many kinds of terrains

They may be found in flat litoranean sandy plains or on accentuated rocky aclives. Some species as Dyckia encholirioides thrives on both situations. One find it on rocks or on sandy bars of the restinga ( a close to the sea vegetation ). But in the vast majority dyckias are rock dwellers and this rock may be not a hint out of any level and be tottaly plain or tottaly vertical.
In one opportunity in Rio Grande do Sul we say threee majestous Dyckias, we were lookinfg for, thriving on a negative aclive or a concave aclive. The road passed close. Thanks God all the windows of the car were up. It was a warm day and the air conditioning was in full work. Wasps, huge chesnut colored wasps they came like ETs flying close to the window pane and just wantint to sting us mercilessly. We woul be sure deth now if it were a cold day. The wasps were there ´cause the aclive wa concave and ofered a safe place for the wasps to live. Ok the Dyckias are there safetly well guarded. Those were red forms od a nameless Dyckia from Entrepelados in Rio Grande do Sul. That kind of wasps has more venomous than most venomous snakes. One sting on you and you may be....finished if not rescued immediatly to a very well equiped medical center.....Yes, one must have a bit of courage to look for Dyckias in wilderness...I say BRAVENESS
Antworten