Tillandsia dudleyi ?

Got a nameless bromeliad? Maybe we can help you here.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
SSairplants

Tillandsia dudleyi ?

Beitrag von SSairplants »

Does anyone know this Bromeliad ? I wonder if its Tillandsia or Vriesea. Stiff leaves, dark gray-purple, plant tall 6" wide 6". I think its look like T.dudleyi. What do you think ?

Bild

Bild

And this second Tillandsia is unknown named too. Soft leave, look gray with trichome.

Bild

Bild

Last one has thin shape. Leaves are thin look like T.juncea.

Bild

Bild
Words are like weapons. They wound sometimes.
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Beitrag von Timm Stolten »

Sorry pal
but I would not dare to guess without any flowers.
And Tillandsia dudleyi I havent seen either in bloom yet.

Anybody else ????

Greetings Timm
║▌║▌║█║║▌║█║ Warnung! Falscher oder fehlender Kaffee - Benutzer angehalten
Buckup

Beitrag von Buckup »

I would help you if I could, but without any flower, it is quite impossible. If you want to to see how T.dudleyi looks like, just go to Google Images and type Tillandsia dudleyi - you will see 12 good images. Ludwig
SSairplants

oh i see thanks...

but someone told me that maybe its dudleyi sp. unknown. but its look quite different form the original one.

Seth.
JoachimInB

Re: Tillandsia dudleyi ?

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

SSairplants hat geschrieben:Does anyone know this Bromeliad ? I wonder if its Tillandsia or Vriesea. Stiff leaves, dark gray-purple, plant tall 6" wide 6". I think its look like T.dudleyi. What do you think ?
Hi there,

may I ask where you got these plants from? The first looks to me like a wild-collected plant. And it looks "quite peruvian" to me, too. But don't ask me to quantify what "peruvian" means, it's just a feeling. ;-) Anyway, I have imported, young plants of T. spiraliflora, which look quite similar. The size matches well and my plants are "dark grey-purple" as well. If your plant is really T. spiraliflora, it has a long way to go before it will flower and you can tell for sure.

The second plant could be nearly anything. But is it also imported? Perhaps together with the first plant? Then it might turn out to be T. huarazensis. Just a very, very crude guess, of course.

Regards,
Joachim (the one from B)
SSairplants

JoachimInB hat geschrieben: Hi there,

may I ask where you got these plants from? The first looks to me like a wild-collected plant. And it looks "quite peruvian" to me, too. But don't ask me to quantify what "peruvian" means, it's just a feeling. ;-) Anyway, I have imported, young plants of T. spiraliflora, which look quite similar. The size matches well and my plants are "dark grey-purple" as well. If your plant is really T. spiraliflora, it has a long way to go before it will flower and you can tell for sure.

The second plant could be nearly anything. But is it also imported? Perhaps together with the first plant? Then it might turn out to be T. huarazensis. Just a very, very crude guess, of course.

Regards,
Joachim (the one from B)

Hi Joachim,

Yes these are the imported plants from Peru. But the seller did not give me the right name. So I have to find out by myself. This is so difficult because I am not so much expert. But so lucky I have found this special site to join each time when I have questions.

First pic dark, stiff leaves. I never sure of this one.

The second, white soft succulent leaves. I have one choise like you yes. T.huarazensis. This is a pup and I never see a mature plant before.

Last, the long leaves, long shape plant. This is very funny. Name signed as T.caerulea ??....and then I find out that this is not. Because the plant has nothing to show that this is T.caerulea.

Regards,
Seth.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

SSairplants hat geschrieben:Yes these are the imported plants from Peru. But the seller did not give me the right name.
Hi Seth,

so I believe I even know the original seller: Knize in Peru. He apparently mislabels many plants. e.g. T. huarazensis as lindenii :!: and so on. And in fact the plants that circulate here in Germany and were imported directly from Knize as T. spiraliflora look exactly like yours, even the way the dehydrated leaf tips where trimmed for cosmetical reasons. :shock:

The fact that Knize plants are obviously sold world-wide demonstrates the extent of habitat looting, since we are not talking about a few tens on plants, but probably tons.

Cheers,
Joachim
SSairplants

Hi Joachim,

Yes he did not give me the right name. But I never mind. I just think that I might have a wild Tillandsia that not many people in Thailand have. But anyway I still need to know the right name (so I can give the right informations when someone asks me!).

Your was trade name as T.spiraliflora. But mine was T.micans! And T.huarazensis was named T.conmixta! This is very strange name. But anyway I think I love the plants. They look so lovely.

Have a nice day and Merry Christmas.
Seth.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

SSairplants hat geschrieben:Your was trade name as T.spiraliflora. But mine was T.micans! And T.huarazensis was named T.conmixta! This is very strange name. But anyway I think I love the plants. They look so lovely
Well, it certainly is not T. micans. :-D But I don't know under which name the plants where imported to Germany, though I do think that they are T. spiraliflora. Anyway, the plants develop numerous hair pups at their base which can look rather nice if they are mounted. The plants can become very large, but luckily, this takes many years. Definitely one of my favorites!

Cheers,
Joachim
SSairplants

JoachimInB hat geschrieben:Anyway, the plants develop numerous hair pups at their base which can look rather nice if they are mounted. The plants can become very large
Wow really...thanks for the tip. Then I should try to mount this Tillandsia too. Hope mine grow up very large and give pups like yours :roll:

Regards,
Seth.
Antworten