I have a name but no picture

Got a nameless bromeliad? Maybe we can help you here.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
Jan

I have a name but no picture

Beitrag von Jan »

Hi,
I am new to the board and have just bought myself a Orthophytum Gurkeni. Or so that's what the tag tells me.

I would like to find out more about these plants and also a picture of one. Can anyone help?

Thanks very much.
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi Jan,

I have two plants of Orthophytum gurkenii
At first glanced, it's really look like a Cryptanthus with rather upright leaves.
It seem to grow better in light shade and love more humid than another xeric member.

You could find a good reference on images of this species and others at

http://www.fcbs.org/pictures.htm

And this is my plant, grows in Bangkok City, Thailand.

Bild

Good growing, nice to meet Orthophytum lover!!

Chanin
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Hi there,

O. gurkenii is definitely one of my favorite bromeliads. And at the same time, one of the easiest to grow, even on a dull european windowsill. Despite its "tough" appearance, its grow is not particularly slow and getting it to flower isn't difficult either, though not exactly spectacular. Seeds are set freely but can easily be overlooked. If I was living in a more favorite climate for these hot brazilians, I would sow them often, and would try to select a few optimal clones (like the one on Chanin's picture!). Sowing this species is by itself an interesting experience, as they germinate much like Aechmeas (i.e. bright green leaves), but after some months slowly change leaf color while developing the stripes.

As mentioned, I keep mine on a windowsill and put it outside only during really warm weather. These plants are in my experience not sensitive to heavy watering, and in fact shouldn't stay dry for too long, as that may result in mealy bug infestation. The plants should not get fertilizer too high in Nitrogen. High light level is important and will eventually result in plants like the one on Chanin's picture.

Good luck,
Joachim
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

By the way: Orthophytum lemei - anybody out there who grows that species?

Cheers,
Joachim
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

I have three plants of Orthophytum lemei in my collection. They seem to have some different
in colour : one with silver another with purple-bronze and gold. A fast growing species,
but a bit slower than Orthophytum rubrum.

Here the photo of my O.lemei that I got from Dutch Vandervort Exotic Plants of Ventura CA, USA last year,
now they have at least a dozen offshoot (pup) from their long stolon.

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
SSairplants

Beitrag von SSairplants »

wow are these Orthophytum? They look like Crytp. or Dyckia very much. I just found out they are really Orthop. today :D
Words are like weapons. They wound sometimes.
gonzer

Beitrag von gonzer »

Chanin, are those weeds(!) I see in your photo of gurkenii??? For shame! ;-)
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi Gonz! Those around the Gurkenii are another xeric succulents in my collection, such as Agave nizadensis, Agave attenuata, Manfreda maculata with a spotted leaves, and some true weed! of genus Euphorbia and Pelia.
gonzer

Beitrag von gonzer »

Chanin, your plants are simply gorgeous! Tomorrow it's off to the World Conference in San Diego, only 30 miles away. Should be fun!
Antworten