Expedition to Brazil to see Bromeliads in their habitat

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums ;-)
also for NON-bromeliad topics.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
Guillermo Rivera

Expedition to Brazil to see Bromeliads in their habitat

Beitrag von Guillermo Rivera »

Dear Members of this forum:

I apologyze if I offend anyone by placing this post (somehow commercial).

Just a short note to let you know that this year, Nature Argentina-South Amerca Expeditions, is organizing a new tour through central Brazil, with special emphasis in seeing bromeliads in their habitat.

This unique tour will cover large areas of central Minas Gerais (Diamantina) and central Bahia state (Chapada Diamantina), and coastal areas with lush Atlantic forests in these states.

There will be a Brazilian guide, with a deep knowledge on Bromelias.
Also, we will have Editor of the Cryptanthus Society Journal Larry Giroux and other bromeliad experts in our group.

The dates for the trip are June 24 though -July 11 2007
Mode: All inclusive, departing and returning to Belo Horizonte Max number of participants: 14-16 (only 4 places left)
Transportation: 24 seat minibus (max number of people is 14-16)
Duration: 17 days
Price: $ 2550 (US dollars, based on double occupancy, may vary depending total number of people)

Itinerary: T. B. A. visiting Belo Horizonte, Diamantina, Montes Claros, Espinosa, Caetite, Livramento do Brumado, Brumado, Itacare, Trancoso, Gov Valadares, Guanhaes, Belo Horizonte. MORE DETAILS UPON REQUEST or visit

www.cactusexpeditions.com.ar

Guillermo Rivera
Constantino Gastaldi

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

I live in Brazil, down south Brazil exactly where the reophitic species of Dychias come from. Santa Catarina, a place colonized by the German people so you can speak German and be understood far easely. Dyckia brevifolia and the rarest of all Dyckias (D. ibiramensis) are native to my place and I cultivate them all since long ago. The German jungle extravagant and most exotic guys like Humbolt and many others that followed him had taken our plants into Europe and from there the plants reached all the world corners. The European and the American had hybridized many species to a point that is very hard or just impossible to guess what plant is.
I cultivate as hobby some of our primitive and original plants. I am surrounded by bromeliads. They simply are all over here, on trees, rocks, sand grounds and so on. Now, I guess I found a way to learn and to say something that might be good or worth to all the bromeliad enthusiat if they can stand my poor English.
touble.
I have plants cultivated by me since long ago as follows:
Dyckia brevifolia
Dyckia brevifolia Izabelii
Dyckia brevifolia Barra do Cocho
Dychia brevifolia Ilha da Cotia
Dyckia ibiramensis, the rarest of all Dykias. I cultivates this species long before its classification. In nature there just a very few speciments and mine are not those. I would like u to have it to make sure the species would survive.
These above are all reofitic plants
The following are fron the beach:
Dyckia encholirioides, a monster that takes bits of your flesh out off u.
Dychia encholirioides multispina, another monster that bears many more spines and is very rare.
I do not sell any bromiliad or any other plant. I exchange them for plants I do not have or I am interest on. I left my email in my profile here and would be pleased to change knowledge, experience, and friendship with Dichia gorwers and enthusiast from all over the world.
Yours Constantino (und einen prosit für dier!)
Constantinog@terra.com.br
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

You're welcome Constantino :D

I don't know how to express my excitation to have a friend from the xeric broms paradise like you.
Yes... if you're looking for a Dyckia crazy guy, I'm one of those.
Your story or picture of the habitat must be the most interesting topic for us.

See, how crazy I'm :roll:
Bild

This is the one that I've looking for for long time,
Dyckia dawsonii, the clone which is very thin leaves and big long spines clone.
This pic came from a book--BROMELIACEAE III by Francisco Oliva - Esteve--
that the pic would be taken in Brazil somewhere.
Bild

I have another 2 clone in my collection, the pink spine clone here.
Bild

Bild

The thin leaves, but not as long spine as in the book.
Bild

This is a rare new member, Dyckia macedoi, that I got from an american friend.
Bild

Another rare in cultivation, Dyckia elisabethae
Bild

One of my most favorite, Dyckia estevesii, the fan-shaped Dyckia.
Bild

I would like to see your different clone of Dyckia brevifolia and Dyckia ibiraensis, how it look like.
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Hi Constantino,

welcome to the forum. It's always nice to have people who can contribute experiences with plants in or near their natural habitat. Do you happen to have Dyckia braunii?

@Chanin:

Cool to see you finally got Dyckia dawsonii. There are more clones around so let's keep watching. ;-) I am always stunned how many new plants you are able to acquire in no time. Your Dyckia macedoi is gorgeous! seems to be a very small plant; will it stay that small and compact? Actually it almost looks like a small Tillandsia.

Cheers,
Joachim
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi Joachim :)

Because I have some good friend like you, that why I can expand my collection rapidly.
Right now, another good friend of mine is looking for some xeric broms in USA for me.
He will come back next week, so I hope I could get more interesting stuffs.

Hey Constantino :o
this is my Dyckia brevifolia, I've kept this nice guy for years, but flower yet.

Bild

And this one is a variegated from, Dyckia brevifolia 'Yellow Glow'
Bild

Bild

Sometime they have a striated variegation pup like this.
Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Antworten