Dyckia jonesiana ?

News from science and research, discussions about new discribed species and literature.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
chanin

Dyckia jonesiana ?

Beitrag von chanin »

I would like to know that Dyckia jonesiana is a valid species ?
The plant said to be brought from Elton Leme's collection and offered in trade for a while.

Here the plant I've got from a nursery in Florida, USA.

Bild

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Re: Dyckia jonesiana ?

Beitrag von Timm Stolten »

chanin hat geschrieben:I would like to know that Dyckia jonesiana is a valid species ?
According to the docs I got...No.
Its not listed in An Alphabetical List of Bromeliad Binomials by Harry Luther
nor in W3Tropicos

So it is either a brand new species or (again) a fantasy name........
........or I should search a little longer ;-)

Greetings Timm
║▌║▌║█║║▌║█║ Warnung! Falscher oder fehlender Kaffee - Benutzer angehalten
JoachimInB

Re: Dyckia jonesiana ?

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

chanin hat geschrieben:The plant said to be brought from Elton Leme's collection and offered in trade for a while.
Hi Chanin,
whether or not it's a valid species name doesn't really matter. More important is the (alleged) origin of the plant, namely Elton Leme's collection. Assuming the plant was propagated vegetatively, you may have the original clone collected by Leme himself. If you contact him, he may be able to confirm the name (or not), and then you get the rare chance of successfully tracing a Dyckia back to it's origin, Leme collection number and -possibly!- even the habitat!

In the case of Dyckias there are so many intentional or unintentional hybrids, cultivars etc. that identification is often difficult if not impossible. With the proper habitat information you actually have a much better ID than a "scientific" name, which may be erroneous or even subject to change. While there is only one wild origin.

Cheers,
Joachim
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Thanks Timm & Joachim :)

Yes, I forgot, there is a collection number on the tag : EL 2959
I agree that it could be a serious topic in identification all unknown Dyckia.
Don't talk about the cultivars or hybrids, but even those came from their native are nearly impossible,
as we could not find any literatures to identify, or if we had, we might not be able to do so.

For example, these two unknown Dyckia which were collected from the wild in Brazil (un-locality) years ago.

This one from Mr. Dutch Vandervort's collection, named "Dyckia sp. Dutch's narrow leaf"
Bild

This one from Mr. Bill Baker's collection, without any named or description.
Bild

In 2002, Mr. Bill baker crossed ' Dutch's narrow leaf ' with Dyckia marnier-lapostollei,
the result are these two beauty unregistered hybrids that I received from him few months ago.

Bild

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Constantino Gastaldi

Dyckia jonesiana is a valid name!

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

Since long ago this name is a valid one. I had the honor to meet Dr. Jones in Porto Alegre. He is a nice, polited and very well manered physician who enjoys Bromeliads since long ago. He literally lives on Paradise, a kind of Shang-gri-la.The name Dyckia jonesiana comes after him and his work known all over the world. He said to me that the plant he saw was so silvery on a rock that at some distance he tought to be a rock dwelller Tillandsia. This plant here shown seem to be that one for sure. It is a Rio Grande do Sul plant. The name has being valid at least for 15 years.
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Thank you for your information, Constantino :D

Bild
Antworten