Hallo - from the center of the US

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
DaveChristiano

Hallo - from the center of the US

Beitrag von DaveChristiano »

This is Dave, who with help from webmaster Timm was just registered.

I've been growing Bromeliads for over 30 years and it's my primary (though certainly not only) hobby. I have about 220 species and cultivars of as many genera as I can find. I live in Springfield, Missouri in the center of the US where the weather is very variable. Summer daily high temperatures are typically 90 deg F (33 C) with low to moderate humidity. Winter daily low temperatures are typically 20 F (-7 C). This year the max temperature was 103 F (39.5 C) and min temperature was 8 F (-13 F) although it can get much colder.

I have also registered here to renew my German. I learned in High School from a real German lady who insisted on proper pronunciation. I spent a whole summer in Europe speaking mostly German way back in 1967 but have unfortunately lost most of my vocabulary over the years. I hope to post in English and German (with my trusty Langenscheidt's Wörterbuch at my side.)

In the future I would be interesting in swapping seed and perhaps plants.
I just harvested some Dyckia saxitilis seed if anyone is interested. I have a plant import permit from the US but I don't know anything about other countries' import regulations. I assume mailing seed internationally is not a particular problem. (?)
Regards,
Dave
Springfield, MO USA
http://geocities.com/ne0b/Plants.htm
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hello Dave, you're welcome !

I'm Chanin from Thailand. I've visited your website, the collection is really great :shock:

Beyond caudiciform and orther succulents, I'm really crazy with xeric bromeliads.
I do collect Dyckia, Encholirium, Deuterocohnia, Orthophytum, and some small size Hechtia :lol:

Your Dyckia saxitilis seed is certainly very interesting for me.
Actually, I just tried to sow my D. marnier-lapostollei seed
which setting from a mother plant here and also purchased some xeric brom seed
from a dealer in germany, most of them are Hechtia and some Orthophytum.
Their germination are quite well.

I also got a bunch of Encholirium sp. 'Vau' seeds from Tarrington Exotic in Australia.
You would see in the pic herewith...it's done :D

Bild
Bild

I do hope that, these seedlings will grow up
to be this spiny thing as in Tarrington's catalog.

Bild

This is my bromeliad collection...it's absolutely xeric :lol:

Bild
Bild
Bild

It's Me with our friend in this forum, Dr Joachim from Berlin, in his visit to Thailand months ago.
The plants which looked like an alien beside him are my Dyckia estevesii
that I got from Dutch Vandervort Exotic Plants last year.

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
SSairplants

Beitrag von SSairplants »

Welcome Dave, glad to meet you here.

Yeah i think You, Mr.Chanin his friend both have such a great collections ! Lol but remember when I grow up one day. I will have my plants to compettion with all of you ! :lol:
Words are like weapons. They wound sometimes.
gonzer

Beitrag von gonzer »

A hearty welcome Dave! But first, a question. Is it 'Miz-zer-ee' or Miz-zer-ah'? Anyway, good to have you. I am mainly a collector of Tillandsias, with over 400 plants consisiting of 300+ species and hybrids. I'm also a BIG fan of Billbergias! Great that you're here.
Bild
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Beitrag von Timm Stolten »

gonzer hat geschrieben:Is it 'Miz-zer-ee' or Miz-zer-ah'?
Its Miz-zer-ah, otherwise you're in trouble ;-)
(I spent 3 months in Topeka, Kansas, I think I learned my lessons well);-);-)

Greetings Timm
║▌║▌║█║║▌║█║ Warnung! Falscher oder fehlender Kaffee - Benutzer angehalten
gonzer

Beitrag von gonzer »

Thanks Timm! A word of caution if you ever travel to San Fransisco, never call it 'Frisco or the locals will have your scalp on a pole :shock: .
DaveChristiano

Timm ist ziemlich korrekt.

Beitrag von DaveChristiano »

In the western half it is Miz-zer-ah - closer to St. Louis they prefer Miz-zer-ee. Some years ago there was a giant tug-of-war held at the state capital and the Mizz-zer-ah team won. So it must be official. Thanks to all for the welcome.

Chanin - beautiful xerics, although I would have thought that in such a lush country you would be growing more wet species. I would be happy to send you some D. saxatilis seed. (Anyone else too while it lasts!) Send me a private email.

Encholiriums are rarely grown here. The only specie I see at shows is horridum, and it is "horrible!" I have taken an interest in Hechtia and Puya although I may regret the size of the Puyas.
Regards,
Dave
Springfield, MO USA
http://geocities.com/ne0b/Plants.htm
Antworten