T.walteri

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
SSairplants

T.walteri

Beitrag von SSairplants »

I have problem about how to grow this Tillandsia walteri. Its very difficult one. I have been trying to grow them so many times but in the end they all died. I just got new shipment of this one Tillandsia. But I do not know how to care them as well. Even if I grow them in the shade. But it still looks like sun burn and never going to stop. Do they like cold weather ? or more humidity or dry ?

Bild

Thank you.

Seth.
Words are like weapons. They wound sometimes.
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

I think the problem is your plants have been infected by diseases, fungi and then bacteria, due to a long tranportation or some damages. I noticed from the symtom of darkening and brown on leaves's edge which eventually dried and kill the entire plant.

These fungi are very common in our tropical climate, that will infect those weaken plants easily. Their spores can be present in the soil or used pots. In addition, they can be spread by water splashing from one plant to another's.

The portions of the plant could be saved if you can make helpthy cuttings that are free from discoloration and rot or dried parts. Treat the infected plant with an effective fungicide, but without any copper as it is really toxic to all Bromeliads. In your case I would reccomend Bravistin.

I also had the same problem in some of my last shipments, but it could be control as well.
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Guys, this is a plant from high elevations in the Andes. Actually very high, around 3000 m! I am not surprised that they won't grow in Thailand, especially in the hot climate that you both live in. Even here in Germany with a much more favorable (cooler) climate for this kind of tillandsias, not many people will have permanent success. Often these plants "live" (or struggle) for some time, which may include flowering, and people think they are doing well, but ultimately they will die.

Unless you have a specially climatized greenhouse like the cloud forest house in Singapore Botanical Garden, there is absolutely no way you can keep these plants alive. Sorry, but they will all be dead soon.

Who sold these very precious plants to you without a warning? Are these even originally wild collected plants? :ethink

Cheers,
Joachim
SSairplants

Mr. Chanin

Thanks a lot for the advices. But I have tried all those too but never work even I cut off the rotten parts :cry:
----------

Mr. Joachim

Yeah this is a so wild collected plants. It was from Mr.Knize again. He always collects wild plants for me. And many times he does not even know their names. I have got so many unknown plants...So I think I better should send some wild plants to my friends in Chiang Mai, Thailand. That place is much better where cold weather stays and lots of moutains.

Thank you all.

Seth.
bromelia_boy

Beitrag von bromelia_boy »

Probably in Russia plant will feel better :D
Different from Thailand in our country problem with
warm and quantity of sunny days, but cool days - though
take away! :?
Vitaly
SSairplants

bromelia_boy hat geschrieben:Probably in Russia plant will feel better :D
Different from Thailand in our country problem with
warm and quantity of sunny days, but cool days - though
take away! :?
he he yeah maybe. and maybe too cold sometimes. its definitely different I am sure :lol:
gonzer

Beitrag von gonzer »

SSair, the few specimens I've seen out here have been grown in cool greenhouses and still suffered. As Joachim alluded to, the elevation from which they are native to cannot be duplicated here. A photo in Esteves' book 'Bromeliads' shows two plants during the dry season which could be mistaken for dying plants. A very tough grow! The elevation issue is also the reason you don't find the magnificent genus 'Navia' in collections here (or there).
SSairplants

gonzer hat geschrieben:SSair, the few specimens I've seen out here have been grown in cool greenhouses and still suffered. As Joachim alluded to, the elevation from which they are native to cannot be duplicated here. A photo in Esteves' book 'Bromeliads' shows two plants during the dry season which could be mistaken for dying plants. A very tough grow! The elevation issue is also the reason you don't find the magnificent genus 'Navia' in collections here (or there).
I would love to grow Navia too only if they do not have thorns lol.
Antworten