California freeze

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
gonzer

California freeze

Beitrag von gonzer »

Although many,many collectors of temperate/sub-tropical plants have suffered greatly here this past weekend, I'm happy to say that the low temperatures sustained for 3 nights did zero damage to my Tillandsia collection. One night of 25°F and 2 more of upper 20's didn't so much as burn a tip. This was the coldest spell in over 20 years out here. Many fine and rare plants, especially palms were burned beyond recognition, some of mine included. Thankfully, this was a great learning experience when I consider the 500+ mounted plants I have. It could have been disatrous. Take heed collectors, they are one tough genus of plants. Mother Nature threw Her best punch and the Tillandsias did not even flinch!
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

crazy winter

Beitrag von Timm Stolten »

Hi gonzer,

in Europe we suffer in a different way.
It is the warmest winter in a century, we barely had frost here, and
I haven't seen a single snowflake so far.
Now this is unusual for us.
I could have left nearly all my plants outside without a problem.

But at least you did not have any losses so far.

I keep my fingers crossed for you guys.

Timm
║▌║▌║█║║▌║█║ Warnung! Falscher oder fehlender Kaffee - Benutzer angehalten
Bill

Beitrag von Bill »

Hi Gonzer,

Likewise, my Tillandsias sailed through the severe weather without much damage. My big, formerly gorgeous Alcantareas, however, now look like cardboard sculptures!

Bill
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Beitrag von Timm Stolten »

Bill hat geschrieben:My big, formerly gorgeous Alcantareas, however, now look like cardboard sculptures!

Bill
Oh boy, but hopefully the heart bud is still okay, the might shoot soon again.

Greetings Timm
Bill

Beitrag von Bill »

The hearts are still alive, but I wonder how long it will take for them to regain their size and beauty.

Bill
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Hi Bill,

welcome to the forum! Gut zu wissen, dass es in Oakland auch Bromelienfans gibt. Regarding the freeze in California, see also http://www.charlies-web.com/frost/frost.html
It's a pity but that's life! One of the problems we face here in Germany during winter is dry air, as many people have to overwinter their Tillandsias indoors. Due to the dry air all kinds of mealy bugs, spider mites etc. happily go for bromeliads as well.

Cheers from Berlin,
Joachim
Antworten