Orthophytum saxicola

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
chanin

Orthophytum saxicola

Beitrag von chanin »

Among the cuties, this small size Orthophytum require only little space
and go along well with any collecctions.

In this picture show two variety, green and silver.
Timm, could you find any data of this complex, are there any var. viridis or var. rubrum ?

Bild

The silver form in bloom, set fruit and seed.
Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Hi Chanin,

this species is one of my top favorites as well. And out of my four different varieties (your green and gray varieties amongst them) three are now going to flower all at once. I wished it was summer now and I could let them enjoy more light than what I can provide on that now somewhat dull windowsill.

Cheers,
Joachim
Craig

Beitrag von Craig »

Orthophytum saxicola "rubra"

Bild
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Craig hat geschrieben:Orthophytum saxicola "rubra"
Hi Craig,
sure? Your plant has quite many leaves, which also appear to be somewhat longer than usual. While Or. saxicola and also its variety "rubra" are quite variable, to me your plant resembles what I have as Or. "Copper Penny" which is a hybrid between Or. saxicola "rubra" and Or. vagans. See also:
http://fcbs.org/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi?db ... ew+Records
Given the size of your plant, flowering will soon tell. :-)

Chanin, what do you think, after all I got that plant from you. :-)

Whether or not it's the pure form, it's a very nice plant. What a pity that here in Germany so few people grow Orthophytums, not even the smaller species.

Cheers,
Joachim
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi Jo & Craig, sorry that I didn't notice the thread has been rplied.

Yes at first glance, I think Craig's plant could be Orth. 'Copper Penny'

In this photo, you can see all relatives : Orth. 'Copper Penny' on the top right,
then Orth. saxicola var. saxicola in the middle, at the bottom from left to right :
Orth. 'What' (saxicola var. rubra f. variegata), Orth. saxicola var. rubra and Orth. saxicola var. viridis

Bild

Orth. 'Copper Penny' with Orth. saxicola var. viridis

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Hi Chanin,

once again very impressive pictures of very nice plants. I wish I had that much space to grow such a big "forest". By the way, all my saxicola forms I got from you are now flowering simultaneously.

In the upper left corner of the upper picture there are two pots with one solitary plant each. The top one is green, whereas the one one below is very dark red. What are these? Probably also Othophytums, as this is your Orthophytum bench. Especally the dark red plant looks extremely interesting.

Also in the same picture at the bottom there is a long erect inflorescence looking as if it belonged to the rubra, which is not possible of course. It must be from a pot behind that rubra. What is it?

Cheers from Berlin (sunshine@12.6°C, very pleasant for this time of the year)
Joachim
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

No doubt Joachim...that's Orth. saxicola var. rubra's scape !
as the plant used to be placed in a deep shade, so it get longer than normal.

Bild

That dark plant is a hybrid which I got from Michael's Bromeliad.
The name is Orth. 'Brittle Star', the hybridizer is my friend, Mrs. Lisa Vinzant in Hawaii.
One of the prettiest Ortho. hybrid, as its small size with nice big spines.

Bild

And in this photo, you will see another cultivar : Orth. saxicola 'Pewter'
the plant is on the upper middle

Bild
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Just want to show the good germination of my Ortho. saxicola seeds.
I use peat moss as sowing media, plastic food box was holed for drainage.
Scattering the tiny seeds on to the media, do not cover the seed, watering from the bottom.
I also use fungicide spraying before placing the closed box in bright light corner.
Only 2 weeks, the tiny seedlings do appear.

Bild
Antworten