I´ve seen high quality plants in your pictures but.....

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
Constantino Gastaldi

I´ve seen high quality plants in your pictures but.....

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

Hi to all over:
I live in Brazil and I a new commer in here. I live exactely where some reofitic dyckias are native to: breviflolia, dystachia, ibiramensis (Have u heard?) and some nice native and natural varieties of them and some others species.
I think your plants are superb, in fact very well cared, but I dare to say that you comite a commom mistake in northern hemisphere: you forget that Dyckias are sun lovers. Some of your plants have not get sun enough to present a nice esthetic and concentrical and good looking scultural appearence. They are all healthy but could be much more colorful, smaller and broader. But you have many sources for Dyckias and some of your hybrids are stricking and I envy you all.
One other point that made me very unhappy was to see how low is the knowledge of yours about my country and I am concerned with this fact. My English is not good and so is my Deutsch and French and Spanish an my Italian but my Portuguese... Well Brasil (with S) is a very, tremendously large country. We have indians but the American too have some. We have snakes but in southern California they have much more. The rattle snakes are plenty and troublesome. We have jungle indeed and stil have but also Canada, Finland, USA, Thai,Russia and the Belgian Congo. Some of our cities are larger and population than all Germany. So please, make me understand the fact you do not travel to my country, you do not make a trip to here or even a journey you make expedition! You do not think you are about to find here just monkeys and indians or you all think you are The Humbolds of today? Well, we know much more about you country and history than u all to about my country. Is there any of you Dyckia lovers or belovers that speaks as bad Portuguese as I do with your languages? Please, travel to my country! we are not savages. One fact, a sad one. Two years ago, in one of the richest if not the richest region of the whole planet, The Bavaria, with München and all the welfare and richness the bavarian, the bavarian killed Bruno, the bear! Yes the poor guy was assassinated within his own home, the forest in the Alps. Bruno, the bear, the rare animal, the beautiful animal was brutaly and savagely killed and even so when I go to Germany I use to travel.I love u all and I envy your plants, some hybrids are wonderful and would proudly give one of my front tooth to have them, but pease, travel to my contry, please do not expedition to my land, we do not deserve that.
I do believe that I can make this world a better place to all of us, I do my share in loving and caring and respecting.
Mit Liebe von die Brasilen Shoenes Vald.
Güsse für alle der Welt
Gracias a todos los garbosos viajantes
Constantino Gastali
constantino@terra.com.br
55-47-3425-8085
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi Constantino :lol:

One of my dream is traveling in your country, I don't know when, but I have to.
Beyond growing and collecting plant, my another hobby is traveling!
I had visited some interesting place, especially for nature lover, on this planet.

I had visit Borneo 2 times.
1st At Sabah to observe the Rajah Pitcher Plant (Nepenthes rajah) at Kinabalu Mountain
Bild

Bild

Second time, at Kunung Mulu National Park of Sarawak to observe Nepenthes muluensis

Bild

Bild

Bild

Years ago, I traveled to Madagascar, also two time.
First time to the north, at Tsingy de Ankarana to see xerophytic plant.

With an old Adenia sp.
Bild

A rare Pachypodium decaryi in its habitat.
Bild

Pachypodium rutenbergianum
Bild

Second time to the southern and western of Madagascar.
With Pachypodium rosulatum var. gacilius at Isalo National Park
Bild

Me, 2nd from the right, under giant Baobab, Adansonia za.
Bild

Hug of love, with a huge specimen of Cyphostemma sp. at Tsingy de Bemaraha
Bild

Last year, I visit South Africa, a bit closer to your country, just cross the Atlantic ocean :roll:

With Impala Lily (Adenium multiflorum) in its habitat at Kruger Park.
Bild

With a really huge Aloe plicatilis.
Bild

I also visit many times to China, Tibet, Sikim of India.
So I think, when I could collect more enough money, if I dom't buy much more expensive Dyckia :roll:
I could be your guest in Brazil someday, soon I hope.
Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Constantino Gastaldi

My brother from tiger lands...

My brother and traveller to dream lands. Be my guest, be my guest. I wanna hear and listem carefully to all your stories so when meet God, I´ll have something to tell Him, and God will listen atemptivelly to the stories you told me from all around the world. I am in deep move from the pics of yours. Be my guest, and show you this is true this is my hoe address in my homeland Brasil (with S):
Constantino Gastaldi
Rua João Pessoa, 747 - América
89204-440 Joinville -Santa Catarina
Brasil
South América
You have been to the place of Alocacias. There in Burma, Sumatra, Boneu exists the most wanted alocasia of the whole word.
Here close do my address is the home of the unique reofitics dyckias in whole world. The colections around the world show many hybridized plants. Some really breathtaking but nome native. I have the Dyckia brevifolia izabeli, the Dyckia brevifolia ilha da cotia, and the rarest of all Dyckias: Dyckia ibiramensis. I cultivate them since long ago before getting to know what they were at all. When I came to know they were in fact bromelias I got surprised. These plants are all very endangerd in the wilderness and some is not evem allowed to get close to them. If I could find a way I woul send to you as gift. I think they are threatened here and the more people in the worrld to have it the better for its own sake.
You pics are fantastic much more fantastic them even in my dreams. Your country is a wonderful one and had passed througt the same or similar problems as mine.
So tell me all your stories I will tell to God there are beauty on Earth.
Proudly
Constantino
Bill

Beitrag von Bill »

Hello Constantino!

Thank you for your wonderful message about Brasil! Indeed, yours is an amazing country, and it is my hope that one day I will be able to visit the many, many unique ecosystems that your country possesses. There are so many destinations I would like to visit in Brasil- the Mato Grosso and the Pantanal, Minas Gerais, the Sao Francisco river, Pico da Neblina, Sao Luis... my list could go on forever! I would need more than a lifetime to discover all there is to see in Brasil!

If people misunderstand your country, it is only because it is so large and wonderful. It is a country of myth and imagination... yes, many countries in the Americas have Indian populations, but where else but Brasil might there still be Indians uncontacted by "civilization"? Sure, there are still great forests in the cold northern hemisphere, but they pale in comparison to the Amazon Basin. I think you will fnd that most people on this board think of Brasil with awe and fascination.

If I have not visited Brasil yet, it is only due to the fact that I am POOR! But I will someday, and I hope you will be there to show me some wonderful Dyckia habitats!

All the best,
Bill
Constantino Gastaldi

The Brasil I live is quite different...

Bill my dearest
Thank u very much for your kind words. They did magical things in my soul. But,always one, I think it is very good to be poor in California instead of moderately rich somewhere else. I known there are myths about my country but today my country is the whole planet. My home is Earth. The concept of countries was appropriated long long ago when the sailing boats tried to cross oceans. This planet is so tiny! What the chinese make out there I sense here and what does it means? It means we ar all brothers, yes we are all,all,all,all brothers. those who do no realize that are in deep sleep. I suffer close to death when I see what is happening in Sudan in our beloved Africa. Some days ago Europe let people built concentration camps. Days ago!!!! Let us be brothers! Let us be nice and gentle! Let us all instruct ourselves! Let us all read! The more we konow about Dychias the more we deal and care about so the more we know about ourselves the more we care! I love plants, I was born and I have lived surounded by charming plants. Bromelias growing attached to the walls of any garden, tillandsias growing in the eletric wires. I know this is wonderful place. The indians should be left by their own. The pale faced guys never brought anything good to any indian in any time. But, but, but, please, pease, please you europeans, you please do not expedict to my country if you insist on this I will expect colorful beads and mirrors. São Paulo alone is richer than any of your cities and all the populations of your contry would not be enough to fit within São Paulo alone. We have libraries bigger than yours, Museuns and so on. We are not that rich´cause mabe we are so many. But please, come, como to my place, be welcome and there is no need for you to bring colorful beads any more.
The mirrors are no good unless for those who are happy and lucky to see their own faces. Be welcome we never had concentration camps , never, never and we would never let any neighbour built one so close so uptately.
Love bromelias but respect me and do not expedict to my country. You are nor Humbolts any more. Travel to Brazil! Love you countries, help each other country. We are all the same, having a five o´clock tea with the gentle Queen or having no meal at all. We are all brothers!!!!!
Forguet please the beads. Travel to my country. Humbold was a genius.
Respectfuly from Brasil
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Via a requirement from our friend, Constantino, I do help him to get his pictures by e-mail
and re-post them to share you all here, so please take a look.

But please forgive me, if I put some wrong caption, Constantino :roll:

These are Conatantino's Dyckia brevifolia collections,
if I'm right the first pic of short and dark leaves is your D. brevifolia 'Izabeli'

Bild

Bild

I do love this Constantino's display very much, a huge clump in his garden.
Bild

"...Dyckia distachya hassler
Another rare reofitic Dyckia from the west of Santa Catarina where I live.
A dam took all the wild forms away. This was rescued by friends and One helicopter fell
and two students were killed when rescuing these plants.
A very sad history! they were students of Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina and were young"
Bild

Young plants of Dyckia ibiramensis growing by side with a rare species of Agave.
Constantino said.."These are young or juvenile Dyckia ibiramensis.
It will be bigger and with thin or narrow leaves. It is very rare anywhere in the world
and I am sure you did not see one that is not dried in a herbarium.
In nature ther are no more than just a very few.
It cames from a river bench in Ibirama, Santa Catarina - Brasil"
Bild

A nice specimen of Dyckia platyphylla , Constantino said...
"This deviding Dyckia platyphylla was collected far North, 4.000km from here
or a 4 hours non-stop jet plane flight. All within my tiny country.
This plant never gives any lateral sprout. After 6 years it is deviding as you see.
Just two times it flowered and I will show you the tiny babies. Those are pure strain, for sure!"
Bild

Dyckia encholirioides
Bild

Variation of Constantino's Dyckia marnier-lapostollei, he captioned that..

"This is the very true Dyckia marnier-lapostollei. Collected in Bahia. Pure strain"
Bild

"That is the same plant as above?...Yes, scientifically up to now but there are doubts,
cause this was collected in Goiás. This one was recently collected and still shows signs of injuries. We are studying it"
Bild

Another two in Constantino's collection.
Bild

Bild

"That was also collected. It is one of the most sivery plants.
It is always small and flat as the above. This is the most wanted, Dyckia lindelvaldae.
Bild

"Could not be prettier. Collected D. beateae, strong and composed by many leaves.
This is a sun lover for sure. It takes direct sun from the sunrise to twilight.
It is a parabolic anten to catch all from the sun, no filter between the two lovers!"
Bild

Two last pics are so interesting, Constantino said...
" These two plants are still in process of getting a cientific name.
It's a Dyckia from The Paraná State. It bears a great amount of silvery scales
up to a point of literally be washed with rain. If you do not hose the plant it get gorgeous.
These two were recently colected to be studied. They have just one month in culture.
It´s a mediun sized plant"
Bild

Bild

Thanks for sharing us, Constantino :lol:
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Constantino Gastaldi

Isn´it lovely. isn´t magical? Thanks Chanin...

Chanin, dearest!
Isn´t it magic? We could not live farer apart, we never met each other, we spoke very different languages. English, we have to learn after grown ups ( :D ... or I am still a baby or I haven´t learn it at all.) Thank you for your kindness, for had lent your internet skills to me. Yes the dark leaved Dyckia brevifolia is the izbeli variety, It is a smaller plant than the original brevifolia, a nature´s jewel. They come from the same region in nature. The basis of its leaves are larger than those of the dyckia platyphilla ( supposed to be very broad.) and much shorter in lenght than those of the common brevifolia. Produces perfect rosets and are geometrically perfect. Izabel is my mother. She was born in 1912 right where this grows. She saw the indians crossing my grandmother lands. She, my mother, passed away some years ago. She used to tell stories, when I was a baby, of how many kinds of small colorful hummingbirds would look after the yellow flowers of these plants, in september. The variety Izabeli is the most beautiful of all natural brevifolia and is very, very rare.
Chanin, my fellow, my brother, the Asian plant intrepeneur: Thank you very, very much... catch The balmy Brazilian breeze my dyckias and me sent to u, my brother, my neighbour from the wonderland...
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi Constantino,
When comparing your pic that you determined as Dyckia beateae with Eddie Esteves's site,
I think your plant should be the rarer species, Dyckia goehringii

Here the link :

http://www.cactos.com.br/us/index.php?o ... mitstart=2

And this is a specimen Dyckia beateaein my collection.

Bild

Bild

You can check at the pic of this site :

http://www.cactos.com.br/us/index.php?o ... mitstart=4
Antworten