Dyckias: the easy going ladies amid your collection:

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
Constantino Gastaldi

Dyckias: the easy going ladies amid your collection:

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

Some of the most trusted dyckia collectors show their plants in flowering profusion. Many different species, flowering altogether, in the same time and space, sharing the same room are easy to find in the collections. Dychias grow in the South Hemisphere and when in North they may go crazy and flower by their choices. In nature here in Brazil they seldom share the same area or neighbors flower at the same time. Dyckias are easy going and can be pollinated by many agents with the surrounding pollen. They are not pickers, they do not choose, they accept gently any pollen not only from a different species but from different genera plant as well. They are the flora cheap whores. Hummingbirds, honeyeaters, bats, moths, butterflies, flies, bees, vasps, cockroaches and you are just a few of the pollenizer agents. For you to have certain sureness about the crossing plants you must to have the two plants very well appart from the real world. Pollen runs, flies, sleazes crawls and walks with many sort of carriers. If you let the pollenization to Lord knows who not even Him will tell you what you are bond to have in your hands. I got astonished when I see some monsters being proudly shown as beauties. “This is my Dyckia so and so that came from such and such a place and this is …” Not even the tiniest hint of that! The refered plant did no pass even close to the grand-grandparents of the thing.It is the same as saying look at my Arabian horse and the guy points to a donkey, a banded one, a banded donkey or a pink polka doted zebra. This is a monstrosity a chemerian.
In some cases the dyckia portion is so lost that the plant is not even monocarpic. They melt after flowering. Just cloning is safety enough to name this is it and not that. Most dyckias clone by themselves or you must help with tissue culturing, a process far too common today. So please be a good pimp to them.
Be gentle, be nice, be good, and be blessed:
Constantino, from Brasil with "s" and care
Antworten