Some of my bromeliads, in the Canary Islands

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
Carlo

Some of my bromeliads, in the Canary Islands

Beitrag von Carlo »

Hello, I am new to this forum. I live in the Canary Islands and grow my plants outdoors. I got my first bromeliads about 15 years ago and little by little I built my own collection. I am more interested in species than in hybrids. Here are some pictures from the last two years. I hope you like them.

Carlo

Neoregelia concentrica, Aechmea triangularis. Early Spring 2006
Bild

Neoregelia schultesiana-fireball. Late Spring 2006
Bild

Aechmea blanchetiana, at the peak of summer 2007
Bild

Unnamed Billbergia... any idea? 2007
Bild

Billbergia leptopoda - January 2008
Bild

Androlepis skinneri - Late Fall 2007
Bild

Bild
Carlo

Beitrag von Carlo »

No replies? :(

Some more pictures of my plants, from a friend's website ( http://palm-trees.org/ ) , who came and took pictures last Aprile, under the rain, in full splendour.

Neoregelia 'Martha McCallister'
Bild

Neoregelia bahiana
Bild

Neoregelia johannis
Bild

Neregelia concentrica, from Brazil
Bild

Neoregelia cruenta f. rubra
Bild
Pete

Beitrag von Pete »

Hi Carlo
Beautiful plants!
Particularly, those Neoregelias are very nice and stunning! :)

Best regards
Carlo

Beitrag von Carlo »

Thank you Pete, thick leaved neoregelias are probably my favourites, I get the best by keeping them in full sun but sometimes they get burned at the peak of Summer. I will post more pictures later when I will upload some more.

Carlo
bristow48

Carlos plants

Beitrag von bristow48 »

Nice plants it must be hard with all that sun you get there, what about wild life, do they bother you plants? I get alot of grasshoppers, that have a go at my out door plants. Just when you want to show them at club meeting. A dirty big grasshopper looking at you, with the express of whats your problem. But they make good food for my pitcher plants.
Carlo

Beitrag von Carlo »

Bristow,

Bromeliads are my care-free plants. I forgot they are there until they bloom or "ask me" to divide them.

I never had problems with any wildlife. Grasshoppers at my place appear once in a blue moon, and they never fed on bromeliads.

As for sunlight, I only see problems in the hottest days of July-August. It is true they don't do well in sunnier and drier coastal Southern Tenerife, but I am closer to the mountains. It is still dry and warm, but with more cloud coverage and night dews.

Carlo
Neomea

Nice

Beitrag von Neomea »

Hey Carlo

PalmsZA on the palm board here....Nice broms. I didnt know you collect aswell! I am sure we can convert you to the hybrids Neos sooner rather than later.

Dennis
Growing Bromeliads in Durban, South Africa
flajas

Beitrag von flajas »

Hi Carlo, your mystery Billbergia looks like a Catherine Wilson. You have great photos. MJD
Gérard Delanoy

Beitrag von Gérard Delanoy »

Nice plants!
HI to all, I ma very interested by tillandsia and some others bromliads which grows with cacti .
Antworten