Tillandsia leiboldiana and Tillandsia dyeriana

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
enrique

Tillandsia leiboldiana and Tillandsia dyeriana

Beitrag von enrique »

Dear friends:

I am a beginner in the bromeliad world, and grow them outdoors for just a couple of years. In general terms, I have no serious health and cultivation problems with my little collection, except for two species I have lost recently. These are T. dyeriana and T. leiboldiana. Both had a rotting problem at the base, and finally died.
Rather than a fungal disease (probably a "collateral effect"), I imagine that the origin of the problem could be the quality of the substrate. But not sure about this and if they really need more air circulation in their roots than other bromeliads.
At some point, when I realised that dyeriana had stopped its growth, I changed it quickly to a rather loose sustrate, but didn´t work. Don´t know if it was too late (and the fungus was there "to stay"), or just I´m doing it completly wrong. Has anybody got cultivation expiriences with these two species and can help me? Have both got similar cultivation requirements?

Thanks so much.
mod

Beitrag von mod »

Hi enrique,If your tillandsias are grown in pots, pine bark and charcoal is a good potting mixture but it is best that the mix
be allowed to dry out completely between waterings as tillandsias have limited tolerances to wet potted situation(even dyeriana which is from humid areas).for your sick plant its best to Remove plant from the pot and Dust the base of the plant with fungicide.
After plant is completely dried it might be happier mounted to a piece of cork or timber, especially if placed in a humid situation.
enrique

Beitrag von enrique »

Thanks so much, Mod. I´ll try next time following your advice. I have treated them as my neos, and it seems that too much water has killed them. Never mind...
I have read your last post about Puyas and Dyckias... I´ll mail you something as soon as possible that may be of your interest.

Thanks again for your quick answer!
Antworten