Alcantarea nahoumii

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
Andrew

Alcantarea nahoumii

Beitrag von Andrew »

During November 2003 a member of our local Bromeliad Society brought in a flower spike of Alcantarea nahoumii full of seed. I obtained one carpel, and germinated about 140 seeds, being approx a third of the total.

Seedlings were in a pumice sand and pine bark mix. They grew rapidly for the first 6 months, then over a period of 4 weeks about 40 died off.

Around this time I was having success using palm peat with Vriesea seedlings. So I split up the Alcantarea, and put 30 into straight palm peat, and 70 into a palm peat perlite mix. Both groups have done well, with group in the mixed media growing a little faster.

Now at 11 months of age the group of 70 have just been potted into a flat in a mix of palm peat and perlite.

Bild

While the main group of seedlings have been kept at 80'F, and provided with artificial lighting. During May, five were planted into a community pot & put into my little plastic house outside. A few gradually died off over the winter. You can see one in the photo that is almost dead. The remaining 3 are about twice the size of the others.

Bild

Over this period all seedlings have been fed with a weak liquid fetiliser.

Looking forward to being able to pot a few of these up. Will be holding onto most of them to make a feature driveway planting. The rest will be sold or traded for other Bromeliads.

Cheers,

Andrew.
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Re: Alcantarea nahoumii

Beitrag von Timm Stolten »

Andrew hat geschrieben:The rest will be sold or traded for other Bromeliads.
Cheers, Andrew.
I'd like to be the first in line when it comes to trading :ewhistle

Congratulations, if never such a success with Alcantareas so far !!
Keep looking over your shoulder ;-)

Greetings, Timm
║▌║▌║█║║▌║█║ Warnung! Falscher oder fehlender Kaffee - Benutzer angehalten
Antworten