Alcantarea glaziouana

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
Andrew

Alcantarea glaziouana

Beitrag von Andrew »

A common way of propagating Alcantarea is by grass pups. Many Alcantarea will produce grass pups around the base during the early stages of their growth.

During June this year, I purchased a young Alcantarea glaziouana from a local nursery. Plant was in a group of six, and was selected because it had about 8 grass pups around its base. Two of the largest were removed, and potted up in a palm peat perlite mix. The removal was like a surgical procedure, as the chances of success are greatly improved if the grass pup comes away with at least one little root. Typically the little root will be right in and under the base of the mother plant.

A few of the base leaves were then removed from the mother plant, revealing another 2 grass pups.

The photo below shows some of the grass pups, three of which will be removed shortly.

I tend to leave the grass pups on the mother until they are 4cm to 5cm tall. Have read that they can be removed as small as 1cm, but then bottom heat is required to stimulate root growth.

Bild

Also have a couple of Alcantarea imperialis rubra grass pups potted up, so will be interesting to see how they grow alongside the glaziouana.

Hopefully, by the time the mother plants are flowering, I'll have a few of these grass pup maturing, & ready to take their place in the garden.

Cheers,

Andrew.
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Re: Alcantarea glaziouana

Beitrag von Timm Stolten »

Andrew hat geschrieben:I tend to leave the grass pups on the mother until they are 4cm to 5cm tall. Have read that they can be removed as small as 1cm, but then bottom heat is required to stimulate root growth.
Did you really get them going from this small size ???
I never dared to remove them unless they have at least 10 cm or more.
Do they develope well up from this size or do they stagnate for a
longer time ? Thats what my ones allways do.
But here again, it might be the missing light over here, especially during the winter saison.

Cheers, Timm
║▌║▌║█║║▌║█║ Warnung! Falscher oder fehlender Kaffee - Benutzer angehalten
Andrew

Beitrag von Andrew »

Hi Timm,

This is a bit of trial and error for me. The Alcantarea glaziouana grass pups already removed seem to be doing OK. And I'll be removing a few more in a week or so. The Alcantarea imperialis rubra have already show some growth, but they were over 10cm when removed.

It is our spring here, so our temperatures are rising (now over the 10'C min each night), & light intensity is increasing. A good time to be taking off pups and grass pups.

Over the winter I put up more shelving in my plastic house, so have some capacity, hence the propagation of grass pups.

I'll post an update on the grass pups later in the season.

Cheers,

Andrew.
Craig

Beitrag von Craig »

I know it's an old thread, but does anyone have pictures of mature A. glaziouana plants?
My son has about 45 seedlings and we are interested to know what size they will be and what they will look like. All photos found so far are just of the flowers.
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Does this do any help ?
Courtesy to FCBS

Bild

Sorry, but that is one thoise species I have never seen so far,
so I cant help you with that.

Greetz Timm
geyornis

Beitrag von geyornis »

here is a pic of what was given to me as an A glaziouana

Bild
SSairplants

Beitrag von SSairplants »

geyornis hat geschrieben:here is a pic of what was given to me as an A glaziouana
wow gorgeous ! it looks like about to bloom now. is it ?
Words are like weapons. They wound sometimes.
geyornis

Beitrag von geyornis »

My picture does not really do it justice :) The center is turning a beautiful lime green, and yes it is starting to come into flower.
I will post a pic when flower spike is fully developed; it does not appear to look like the other pic posted here

Regards
DaveChristiano

Re: Grass pups

Beitrag von DaveChristiano »

I am getting grass pups on Tillandsia krukoffiana too.
Regards,
Dave
Springfield, MO USA
http://geocities.com/ne0b/Plants.htm
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

DaveChristiano, please check your personal messages !
http://www.bromeliads.net/forum/privmsg.php

Sorry folks, this is off topic, but I cannot get in touch with him
thru email

greetings Timm
Antworten