Germinating Vriesea Seedlings

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
geyornis

Germinating Vriesea Seedlings

Beitrag von geyornis »

Seth,
Here is a pic of method I use. I germinate seedlings in tea tree bark in sealed plastic containers.
This method seems to be more resistant to fungus attack (probably tannins in the bark).
Also I noticed that in the heat wave we had a few weeks back (+40 degrees C ) that seeds in tea tree were less damaged by heat than those I had in other media (talk about examples of run away greenhouse effect - some of them looked like cooked cabbages).

The theory is that the seedlings will put roots into the paperbark & when advanced enough I take the top of the container off & punch some holes in the bottom for drainage, - saves me transplanting

Bild
geyornis

Beitrag von geyornis »

Sorry, wrong pic :( that is just a sample of seedlings I have potted on - I will arrange for the other pic in due course
SSairplants

Beitrag von SSairplants »

Hi Craig,

Its ok! Anyway its very nice to such a great pic of your seedlings. Your plants seedlings look like growing up very well. Do you fertilizer them too ? I need some tips from you now. Because the Vriesea seeds you have sent me. Now they are starting to show the green sport (I mean its started growing slowly now).

Regards,
Seth.
Words are like weapons. They wound sometimes.
geyornis

Germinating Veresias

Beitrag von geyornis »

Hi Seth,
I don't fertilize my seedlings, all I do is ensure they dont dry out too much. However, on reflection maybe I should. With me, they grow tougher but slower so maybe I should be giving them some help.

Its difficult to arrange for my pics to be shown here - ones to date have been via the assistance of Timm Stolten and I dont want to pester anybody too much.
If you message me an email addy - I can email them to you.

I have some Vr. Gigantea Nova seeds, to you want some? slow growing but worth the wait :)

In fact, anybody else interested in these seeds?

Regards
SSairplants

Beitrag von SSairplants »

Hi again Craig,

Yes of course I would like to see more pics of your beautiful plants. If you can send the pics to me this e-mail : SSairplants@hotmail.com.

Sure I am still interested in your Bromeliads seeds. If you still have some to spare it would be nice. But its ok I am looking over the first seeds you sent me if it grows nicely. But do you still have some seeds of T.viridiflora left there?

Regards,
Seth.
Words are like weapons. They wound sometimes.
grcrabman

Beitrag von grcrabman »

Hi geyornis
can you elaborate on the the tea tree bark you use for germination. What species. Do you buy it or collect it yourself and any preparation you use. I am currently using nasty fungicides for bromeliad germination and using tea tree bark sounds like a brilliant idea.
geyornis

Beitrag von geyornis »

Hi gcrcrabman

Am happy to :) . By tea tree I ment paperbark - dosent matter what species, its the papery type bark I find is good.
I cut it into strips about 1/2 an inch wide and lay them on end in a plastic take away container. I pack them in so that bottom of the container is covered. The idea is that the germinating seedlings will be able to send their roots down between the strips of paperbark where there is always some moisture. I cover the strips with boiling water (they tend to float and become disordered, so it needs to be done carefully. I replace the water with fresh boiling water about 3 times - it is to make sure any insects are killed, and that excess tannin is washed away. I let the last lot of water cool down & pour it off, then sprinkle the seeds over the mixture. After a couple of days I pour excess water off. Germination is good and the aim is to leave the seedlings alone till they reach a stage where I can remove the top of the container and punch some holes in the bottom for drainage (by not transplanting them I hope to avoid the inevitable losses).
Method does not stop fungus completely but certainly reduces it - I reckon its the tannins in the paper bark, gets to the stage that I can remove the top of the container to check plants out, add or remove excess moisture - I certainly could not do that with cocopeat or pearlite medium.
When the seedlings get to a certain size, I leave the top of the container loose and add water when it looks like drying out too much.
I have heard that another club member uses the bark of turpentine gum (any rough bark would work I think)

Regards
Craig

Beitrag von Craig »

geyornis, I'd love to see the pics of your method.
I have a large swamp paperbark in my yard so sounds like an idea worth trying.
If possibly, could you please email the pics to gambusia@bigpond.com
Cheers
Craig
grcrabman

Beitrag von grcrabman »

Thanks geyornis
Great idea and easy to duplicate, sounds easy to split up seedlings for planting out almost like they will seperate in strips. The turpentine bark also sounds good as both barks should have good antifungal propertys.
I will try both in the next few days.
geyornis

Beitrag von geyornis »

Hi grcrabman & Craig
Hope you have success, please let me know how it goes :)
Craig I have forwarded an email with pics to you.
I am unable to post pics here so if you could do it for me, would be greatly appreciated.

Pic is of Gigantea X seedlings - F3, about 2 years old

Regards
Craig

Beitrag von Craig »

Here's the pics that geyornis sent me. I assume the first pic is showing the more traditional method?

Bild

Bild
Antworten