Pineapple from Seed

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
Meighan

Pineapple from Seed

Beitrag von Meighan »

Hello! I found 15 mature black seeds in a pineapple that I chopped up last night to eat.. I want to grow them, is there anything special I need to know about germinating pineapple seeds? I've never grown broms from seed before, so any advice is helpful. Thank you very much!

Meighan
tim

Beitrag von tim »

i have never grown pineaples from seeds,so i can`t help u.but it is much easyer to grow them by the head(that means the small plant lokkoing like thing at the top of the fruit),u can cut if of the fruit,put away the oldest leafs(down) and let it dry for some days,than u can plant it,it helps to use some fungizid.put it at a warm and sunny pleace and let it grow...
one more thing,if u use the head take a look in the midle,and make shure that the heard(where the leafs come from)is still alive.
tim
Meighan

Beitrag von Meighan »

Thanks Tim! I have grown the heads from pineapples quite often, but I wanted to try from seed for something different. :)
SSairplants

Beitrag von SSairplants »

Grow from the pineapple's (Ananas) head takes two years to grow up as a mature plants. But if grow by pups. It will take only eight months.

From seeds, its very easily so grow. But make sure your plants seeds are still alive (I mean its not already death in the fruit).

Just lay your plants seeds on the groud (mixed soil where is not able to keep much water). Or put a seed in the soil about 1 cm. Water them every morning. You will see it grows within 2 weeks. But it takes lots of time to grow as a mature plant too. About 3 years.

.Bild

I often grow seeds from Aechmea, Neoregelia and Tillandsia. But have not tried to grow Ananas seeds yet. But bet its easier.

Regards,
Seth.
Words are like weapons. They wound sometimes.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

This is the kind of pictures that drive me mad. Mad! Because it's close to impossible to grow so spectacularly blushed plants here in Germany. Probably just plain impossible. A fact that has already made people permanently move to tropical countries where such plants can be grown in the backyard. I am in for a change too, it seems...

Here is another picture (Ursulaea tuitensis at Tropiflora) that seems almost too spectacular to be true :ethink
Bild
Has anybody seen anything like that?

Stunned greetings,
Joachim
SSairplants

JoachimInB hat geschrieben: (Ursulaea tuitensis at Tropiflora) that seems almost too spectacular to be true
Same! I have been looking for this one too. Its driving me mad. I have not seen it yet. But from the picture. It looks quite wonderful.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

So let's make a deal: You get Tillandsia ionantha var. zebrina for us and we get Ursulaea tuitensis for you. How does that sound? :D

Cheers,
Joachim
SSairplants

JoachimInB hat geschrieben:So let's make a deal: You get Tillandsia ionantha var. zebrina for us and we get Ursulaea tuitensis for you. How does that sound? :D

Cheers,
Joachim
Yes thats sounds nice! But will it be easy to trade the plants form German to Thailand ? Ursulaea is not an airplant. So will it be ok if it stays in box more than one week ?

Regards,
Seth.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

I have about 2 dozen seedlings (less than 2 months old) which are definitely too small for sending. However, there might still be fresh seeds available. I'll inquire.

Cheers,
Joachim
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Beitrag von Timm Stolten »

SSairplants hat geschrieben:[So will it be ok if it stays in box more than one week ?
Ursulaea is tough like rock.8)
Should be no problem at all

Greets Timm
║▌║▌║█║║▌║█║ Warnung! Falscher oder fehlender Kaffee - Benutzer angehalten
Meighan

Beitrag von Meighan »

So I planted my ananas seeds in some sterilized potting soil, but I read later that they should be planted on sphagnum moss.. so I planted some other ananas seeds on the moss and we will see which works better, soil or sphagnum!
geyornis

Beitrag von geyornis »

Meighan
Believe it or not, every method used will have some success:)
I suspect sterilised potting mix will be better than sphagnum moss simply because there will be more nutrients available in the mix.

My problem has always been that the seeds come up like fleas on a dogs back, but after a while the leaves turn white & seedlings do not thrive.

I don't have that problem with vriesea seeds, they are supposed to be much more difficult. Yet, neos, bilbergias achmeas & the like - the supposed easy ones - I have trouble.

Good luck with your Ananas seeds - the really good thing about growing from seeds is that you never can be sure of what you are going to get. :)

regards
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Hi Folks,

Long time ago, I worked with an ornamental plant project of The Royal Foundation in Kasetsart University, Thailand. My adviser, ML. Jaruphan Thongtham, did an experiment of crossing Ananas lucidus cv. with another species or clones to create dwarf ornamental pineapple. After the fertilization was done. We selected many seeds for sowing.

We used a mix of 1 part sand and 1 part palm peat that easy to find here as it was our by-product of coconut crop. The sowing mix was sterilized by heating. Seeds were sowed on the top of mix layer (did not cover the seed). The sowing pot was given water with fungicide from the bottom and put in a transparent plastic bag with some ventilation holes. We found the germination is quite so good with this method. I think you could apply the sowing mix with the stuff in your region, may be your peat moss mixed with perlite or vermiculite should be work.

Hey...Geyornis, sound like you are a good gambler!!...I really agree with you that we could not know how look that grass like seedlings will become.
But, right now I have nothing to sow...because most of my Dyckia and its fellow never bloom for me, except only D. marnier-lapostollei and a few Orthophytum which could not cross each other.
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Antworten