Some variations of Dyckia marnier-lapostollei in Thailand

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
chanin

Some variations of Dyckia marnier-lapostollei in Thailand

Beitrag von chanin »

Since, the available seeds of Dyckia marnier-lapostollei have been offered in Euope and US
by seed dealers for decades of year, there are countless of this gem distributed to all collections and bromeliad lovers around the world.
Among those, at least hundreds of them have been growing here in Thailand.
As we know, Dyckia manier-lapostollei appears a great variation on form of leaves, spines even color,
that could make ‘the same species’ look so different.

Here, I have some interesting pictures from my collection to show Dyckia marnier-lapostollei fan club here:

This should be a typical form in any collection with silver-white curved leaves and nice spines.

Bild

This one has very fine and closed spines.

Bild

This one has very sharp big 'teeth'

Bild

This has really sparse spines.

Bild

This one is a 'Buckteeth'.

Bild

This one has a white with rather straight leaves.

Bild

This has dark red and truely straight leaves.

Bild

This one look like a compact form with a few short thick leaves.

Bild

And this one, the only distinguishable variety, D.marnier-lapostollei var. eastevesii.

Bild

I would like to see, how your Dyckia marnier-lapostollei look? If you have a remarkable one...please show me your 'Teeth'!!

Greeting, Chanin in spines!!
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Hi Chanin, wonderful. You are really in a very lucky position to be able to grow so many varieties of this beautiful Dyckia under obviously rather ideal conditions. Here in Germany we are not in such a lucky position and lack both the constantly warm climate as well as high light levels throughout the year. Space is an issue as well, because unless one has a greenhouse, one can only keep a few plants on a windowsill, as not all stay so relatively small as D. marnier.lapostollei. Consequently, Dyckias are much less popular here than in warmer areas. I don't know many people with special interest in Dyckias, not because they are not pretty (which they are) but mostly due to the above geographical constraints. They are, however, frequently seen in botanical gardens, most commonly growing among cacti. I am not aware of nurseries in Germany or the rest of central Europe that supply Dyckias in significant numbers. If at all, they are found in cactus nurseries! So it's very interesting to see the variety of forms you managed to purchase, probably mostly from California? If I had more space available, I would definitely grow some Dyckias as well and I will certainly watch out for them now, especially the grey ones, maybe I am lucky. If you have any seeds to trade I would be very interested, of course.

Cheers,
Joachim
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Certainly, I'm really appreciated to share you my seeds, Joachim!
But the last crop of Dyc.marnier-lapostollei's seeds were sowed and germinated already.
I'm sure next summer I can get more seeds from some nice variations
which I recently got this year from my friend collection.

This is 3 weeks seedlings in one of my sowing pots. I used peat moss as sowing media.

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Antworten