Bromelia humilis : the beauty of the beast

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

chanin

Bromelia humilis : the beauty of the beast

Beitrag von chanin »

Amongst the fiercest bromeliads, genus Bromelia seem to be the winner.
Most of its member are huge with long rigid leaves, armed with strong hooked spines.
But there are some exception, at least one which known in cultivation for decades, Bromelia humilis

I've kept this plant for nearly three years, and just last few days, I found the plant gonna flower.

Day 1 : Signed only some fading at the heart of rosette.
Bild

Bild

Day 2 : Rose coloured appeared.
Bild

Bild

Day 3 : More distinct red-coloured.
Bild

Bild

Bild

Day 4 : It blazed my xeric collection this morning !
Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
TimoP

Beitrag von TimoP »

Drop-dead-gorgeous .... more I don´t have to say........ Oh sure. One thing more: I want to have it :D

Great pictures -as always- chanin ...

greets from germany
Timo
[i]Es gibt ein Heilmittel für Alkoholiker, aber einen akuten Fall von Bromelitis kann man nur mit mehr Bromelien heilen! [/i] -- Mulford B. Foster
Uwe Tholen

Beitrag von Uwe Tholen »

Hello Chanin,

your pictures are class, as well your plants. How do you do this? Which color, which brush? As on the paintings of Carl Spitzweg! :lol: :lol:
Gruß Uwe Tholen
www.uwetholen.de
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Day 5 ...

Bild

Bild

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Constantino Gastaldi

...liking is not enough...sense and sensibility help but....

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

...liking is not enough...sense and sensibility help, but...
...knowledge is a plus in order to achieve this. But even so this altogether without skills and the help from the sun right above....that would be a real challenge. You have to have enough sun year around to achive this...and a sun of high quality. Temperature is the step to conquer. Our bromelias may resist some cold even light frosting but once in very long while. They are not intented to be keep for more than just a few few ours in temperature below 16 centigades (C/5 = F-32/9). Ah, they stand, ah, they survive! Yes, they do or they do sometimes. But, as I could see up to now Chanin´s plants are not any suvivors. They seem to be happy, they seem to be loved, and they are very well cared. If Iwas a bromelia, a rare Dyckia, I would swim all throught the oceans that keep us apart just to live under the love and caring of Mr. Chanin.
Love und Liebe für alles
Be nice, be good, behave and be blessed!
Constantino
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Thanks my friend :lol:

And I think, I do love all the creatures around my garden like you do too, Constantino !

My Dragonfly, he help me eat Mosquitos :wink:
Bild

My little Gecko, this guy help me eat pest insect :shock:
Bild

Actually, there are something which I didn't see, such as a brown tree-frog, snake
that come in the nighttime and I love all of them.
Bild
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

The day 14 th, the whitish inflorescence has occurred, but bloomed yet.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Finally, on day 16th the first flower appeared, and I came across with a pollinator.

Bild

Bild

Bild

This morning, it's the day 17th, some more beatiful blossoms have appeared.
Bild

Bild

Bild
Constantino Gastaldi

all this performance in this colorful show has a purpose....

Yes all this extravagance, this colorful show means: come to me humming birds, I am ready. This is all to attaract the polinators. Those reds reflects the infra-red rays, easily caught by these polinators agents. These colours are guide lines. Everything is set in a way to atract the attention and direct the polinator to the center of the roset.
Nice set of following shots from Chanin, as always. Great!
But isn´t there anyone else in all this world willing to share the photos of his or her collection? Chanin, there is only you or the europeans think we are not good enought to see what and how they are doing or there is photo device in Germany....Do not be ashamed of your collection show us it doesn´t ache that much. Try once and from then on it will easier. Let´s share. Learn sharing is one of the first steps to a true ecological vision. I want to to see your plants, come on be nice, be good, behave and be blessed and by the way...are u a jelousy being? Try with one and then with a pair of shots, try and soon you will master... There must be good photo device over there.
Constantino, too intrigued to be fair.
Timm Stolten
Webmaster

Beitrag von Timm Stolten »

@Constantino: Wanna see my pics ?
Than check the BromWiki here
Where are yours :lol:

Greetings Timm
║▌║▌║█║║▌║█║ Warnung! Falscher oder fehlender Kaffee - Benutzer angehalten
Constantino Gastaldi

Hi, Timn mine was already posted long ago....

Oh,Timn, so you did not see my collection my plants. I do not blame you but Chanin postede my plants a few weeks ago. If you search you will find easily. Chanin posted them as a favor ´cause I did not achive the task to post the pics my own and I still do no know how. I know How to send pics as attached form but here and with my limited skills I can .not. I still think there´s only Chanin collection to be seen? Of course I want to see your collection. That is quite obvious, isn´it? Yours and anybody else´s. Guess this goup is for sharing, isn´t it? I wanna learn with you and expect to be happy for doing this but.... each mind for a head. Feel free to agree and desagree and also feel free to share I was just wondering...
Any way, thanks for your kindness
Dank für deiner guttes Word. Ich must deiner pfantzen seheen einmal
Die Welt ist eine besser platz mit dier!
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Phantastic, Chanin! These would indeed be excellent pictures for the BromWiki.

I would love to live in a climate where such plants could develop as perfectly as yours. Here in Germany this requires a lot of effort, and usually light levels are too low for too much of the year to grow such gorgeous plants. Of course, space requirement is an issue as well...

Congratulations!

Cheers,
Joachim
Dfcorin

Beitrag von Dfcorin »

Chanin:

Very good photos and beautiful plants.
Congratulations !

Diego
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Constantino Gastaldi

Diego...how are u doing?

Thanks for stop sending that horrible freeze cold wind from yours and had sent it to the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Have u got the seeds ? Sew them promptely as soom as you get them.
Arriba muchacho, arriba Argentina
Dance the tango for all of us
Constantino from Brazil
Dfcorin

Beitrag von Dfcorin »

Constantino:
The seeds did not arrive still.
A greeting from Buenos Aires for all,
Diego.
Antworten