Dyckia dawsonii ?

Got a nameless bromeliad? Maybe we can help you here.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Thank you for your opinion, Constantino.

Yes, definitely not, Timm :wink: you can use all of my image in any of your sites.

Hi Joachim, my plant is dividing :D

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Constantino Gastaldi

Yes Joachim that is it

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

Yes my dearest Joachim, I do think this way. There is not some Dawsoni but only one. In field there may by some differences but never that showy. Chanin´s plants are just gorgeous, magnificent.
- We use to forget how difficult to describe correctly a Dyckia is. One of the most busiest taxonomists says that while he describes a Dyckia he could decribe a hundred of other bromeliads. There are many mistakes in descriptions of Dyckias and some very intentional as for the location.
- Those Dyckias considered classics as D. brevifolia, marnier, fosteriana we rarely meet one abroad the ressembles clearely one of them. It seems that the longer it is ouside Brazil the more strange is the plant. Cross polination and something more are the most probable causes.
- Comercialy people all around the globe makes some bettering in plants to get them nicer, good looking an many more qualities that may be improved. Those betterings chase away the true form in many occasions.
Guess those are some of the reasons for it.
I myself think we should be proud of betterings in plants. Beauty needs some help in many times...but if you paint, on the Monalisa, a bridge to paradise, that won´t be the Leonardo´s masterpiece any more.....The humanity woul be starving without beter grains of corn, soybean, rice and so on.
Constantino Gastaldi

Gerfi, deine flantzen sehn aus wie die vierckle Dawsoni

...Und das ist alles mit meine Deutche.
Hi Gerfi, yes your plants seem to be the real one or closer to the real thing, Dyckia dawsoni, than those spetacular Chanin´s plants. Yours are in the need of Intesive Care but hey look much like the real Dyckia dawsoni native to our Mato Grosso state.
Ich can Deutch sprech aba ca nich schreibe.
Good laughs on the count of my German skills. But remember that my native language is The Portuguese.
GerFi

Center off Dyckia

Beitrag von GerFi »

Dearest Mr. Constantino,

Thanks for Your Answer!

You make me two times hopeful.
1. It will be a D. dawsonii,
2. There will com a kommunikation-channel to Brasilien with You, in the Center off Dyckia!

And here is the my part off 'Sammelbestellung 2007' with Dyckia dawsonii:
Bild

Liebe Grüße :P :oops:
Gerhard
Constantino Gastaldi

Look one D. dawsoni from the wilderness

This is a seedling caught right where the type plant came from a trustful collector. It is young plant and may not show all its face until florishing. But it is not a fancy one. It is native.
In America there is a Dyckia with a fancy name Dyckia Spider Witch that ressembles greately the fancy ones I´ve seen here in bloom.
Just helping.
Bild
Cheers
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Constantino, your plant seem to be close to Dyckia pectinata too.
please see the link to the image of FCBS:

http://fcbs.org/images/Dyckia/Dyckia_pectinata1.jpg
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Constantino Gastaldi

Dyckia pectinata

Pectinata means,like a comb. and this Dyckia comes from the borders between Rio de Janeiro SState and minas gerais State. Pectinata is a sole plant meaning there is an only one species for sure. It is dessapearing ´cause some enemy that came from a apple-pine juicer close to to place where pectinatas are native to.
The spines of the pectinatas are also rubbery and does no injuries to your sin.
Dyckia dawsony has nothing similar to Dyckia pectinata and I have pectinata too and will show here to you.
Your fancy dawsoni are superb, magnificent but they have just a hint of dawsoni.
Dawsoni is not that pretty!
Constantino
Constantino Gastaldi

Here you have a Dyckia pectinata

This plant is smaller than dawsoni. All times have the same color, a mild chestnut like. Its habita it is in much danger and it is very well kept. This is the reason for it to be extremely rare abroad. Dawsoni and some other are well known ´cause it was smuggled long ago by a well known person. This by the contrary do not belong to the territory where that person work or worked. It is out of his reach as to say simply.
The spines are all soft.
Bild
Bild
Bild
Yes I do agree with you. Trhough pictures they may look like but they are not the same. They are so far away from one another in nature that half Europe would fit in between roominly.

I will show to you another plant that has soft spine and comes from South, southern than where I live.
Dyckia delicata
Bild

Now someting you call or take for Dyckia dawsoni and it is not. It is an old known hibrid of Dyckia dawsoni and Dyckia chorestaminea. The flowers are exately as the chorestaminea but in a dawsonian stalk as some you showed here.
So look: Dyckia spider witch!
Bild
Bild

A true Dyckia dawsoni collected in wilderness
Bild

Dyckias may be extremely difficult to identify even standing close to them but some characterist are patognomonic, inedit and absolutely related to one specific species or two at the most.

Do not be angry with me. I am proud friend of yours. I just do not agree. There is no big deal in it.
Your Dyckias are superb.
I invite you to come to my place and I will lead you to some of the most important Dyckia sites in nature. I already had invited you, my Dearest Chanin but your fancy plant is not Dyckia dawsoni no matter who had said it is. It is superb gorgeous plant and I woul like to have it, but even so it is not the one you claim it to be.
It is quite common this mistake outside. Even science has commited grotesque errors. Some it stepped back and some it fakes to be blind.
Cheers.
Constantino
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Hello All,

to add some spice to the discussion we had quite a while ago, I did some more research on the topic Dyckia dawsonii.

As you can see, the plant in the first picture of this thread, which I took in Zürich, shows a plant labelled Dyckia dawsonii:
viewtopic.php?p=6163
In fact, it comes with a field number "Dawson 15236". Now check out this link:
http://tropicos.org/Name/4304496
According to this highly reliable resource, Dyckia dawsonii "Dawson 15236" is the type clone.

:edance Hoooorrrrayyy! :edance

And congratulations to Cyrill for having the one and only true Dyckia dawsonii in the Zürich collection. And I also think Chanins plants can be regarded as true, pure strain Dyckia dawsonii.

Cheers,
Joachim
(still dancing)
Antworten