Gerhard meine chatz deine flantzen sind krank.

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

Antworten
Constantino Gastaldi

Gerhard meine chatz deine flantzen sind krank.

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

Dearest Gerhard your plants are suferring. These u show are in the need of water. This discoloration in the middle of the leaves indicates that. Dyckias do like water. They do not like it ever in abundance but they are water lovers! They stand in nature under water for more than 10 days. The reofitic plants are so. Dyckia brevifolia, D. ibiramensis, D. disthachia and some more.
Take care with the cold weather and give them plenty of water and sun, good sun or good artificial light. These plants you show need 12 hours light every single day, every day of the year. Without this u can not expect for prettiness.It would be as to care for a polar bear in Rio. Poor bear. Here the plants have plenty of daylight and this is all they need..and some water without the risk of freezing. We say, if the sun is fiercy enough to cause a melanona (the worst of the carcinomas) in your skin , it is great for the Dyckia. Weak sun makes weak Dyckias.
GerFi

My polar Bear

Beitrag von GerFi »

Dearest 'Dr. Plant' Constantino,

yes, they was ill!
That was the time they arives me.
But now, i'm going to learn!

I live in the town with the most rain in germany.
My plants stand outside in the garden the hole sommer.
I think, that was to much water. Isn't the Dyckia sukkulent? Don't need they a break?

Now, at winter my Dyckias stand in the warm cellar with elektric light and clock.

Here same pics to enjoy you:

Bild
Dykia fosteriana 'Silver Queen'

Bild
Dyckia fosteriana 'Bronze'

Bild
unknown Hechtia

Bild
My Ursulaea tuitensis

Cheers
Gerhard
Constantino Gastaldi

Gerhard deine flatzen sind schön

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

No they are not any succulent. Dyckias are not succulent plants. They are bromeliadas that prosper in soil on the rocks or sand. Cacti are succulents! The word succulent is a very mistakable one and pretty much confusing. The Northern Dyckias may take a brake in water but they feel much,much,much better without it. The Shouthern Dyckias may take temperatures below freezing but they do no need to endour that.
Dyckias need a few things and some they do not negociate at all are:
1-The very most desired thing for a Dyckia is sun! They do no trade it for anything.
2 - Substrate plenty with organic matter, pretty well aereated with some mineral contents.
They negociate:
1- Temperatures they survive below freezing and at scorching high temps but they relish the temperatures you feel good!
2- Water, they stand long periods with almost no water. But in culture please do not let then suffer for funny. They love water they are fond of water but do not keep their feet under water all the time.

The strongest light, the very well aerated organic substrate and mild temperature and never, never getting dried makes a Dyckia ideal Paradise. If they could dream they would dream so.
Antworten