My first Dyckia goehringii

Questions and answers about cultivation, propagation, fertilization, diseases and pestcontrol etc.

Moderator: Timm Stolten

chanin

My first Dyckia goehringii

Beitrag von chanin »

Via our friend, Joachim InB, I got this very nice seedling months ago.

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Constantino Gastaldi

Yes, this is it!

Beitrag von Constantino Gastaldi »

This Species, in my opinion is one of the finest Dyckias. This one is young but it can turn to be a show with large spines and there are two or three forms. One that looks like a sculture make on bone, like those sculptures of the people that lives in Northern Canada. The one that this plant looks like to belong is also magnificent and turn to be very wine and silvery. I use to say thar this species needs no bettering ´cause it is gorgeous.
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Yes I really love this plant, and here the image from Timm's Brom Wiki :

Bild
I would like to meet new friends in other part of the world and would be glad to trade plants or seed from this part of the world.
Constantino Gastaldi

See the prettiest of the dyckias these can turn to be.....

This one looks like a sculpture in bone:

This one was also collected in wilderness when a seedling. Seedlings may be rare in nature:
Bild

Bild

Bild

This is a seedling from seeds of the wilderness:
Bild
Constantino Gastaldi

My seedling looks pretty much yours, Chanin

Dearest Mr. Chanin:
Yes and yes. look at this seedling of mine from seeds collected in wilderness: This is much like yours. This will be one of your much loved ones, for sure.
Bild
Bild
They seem not to be self polinated, but seem and I am not sure. People say what pleases them. Many other spicies turn to be self polinated in spite the odds against it.
Congratulations.
Care.
GerFi

Seed from BG-Hd

Beitrag von GerFi »

Hi at All,

here my little Dyckia goeringii,
it is Seed from 16.9. 05.

Bild
Bild

Cheers
Gerhard
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

This is phantastic guys! Chanin, your plant is the champ, I am speechless about how fast a plant can grow in your climate. Half a year and changed completely. Good to hear from Constantino that the plant is close to what he found in habitat, so this is probably not an accidental hybrid but the pure species. Furthermore, the mother plant is the type clone of this species!
GerFi, my plant is similar to yours, but not as reddish. But it's now slowly starting to produce the nice spination.

Cheers,
Joachim
Constantino Gastaldi

Joachim I do think so

I do think all such plants here are true or at least very close to the true form. This plant is variable even in nature. Some clones are even more fantastic. The one the looks like bones left under the sun is the most saught after here, there and everywhere. The plant sprouts easily and thus the true form can be spread among cultivators with the garanty of being true.

I do like the cultivated forms or the hibrids and this species is bond to produce pretty ones.

Here we do have many, many, many new discoveres and just one or two cultivators in whole Brazil use to make hibrids. I do. In fact, here we have just a few people fond of such plants.

Yesterday I got a brand new species and I showed here. A green one form the South Dyckia vicentensis.

These plants from the Cerrado are all protected by Law. In no way they are allowed to get out of Brazil. They are all smuggled. I myself think this is a kind of bullshit. Cultivators may preserve. But funny enough, the most dangerous enemy for our native plants and animals are those who feed on Brazilian beef, uses Brazilian timber and writes on Brazilian paper. The Amazon and the Cerrado are so ´cause someone out there is using all this. Everything is linked. The Dyckias in South are safe ´cause most of them thrives in such a place that not even a goat can climb.

The big and BIG fact and reallity is: WE ALL LIVE IN THE SAME HOME: EARTH!

I am very fond of those who care. Plant enthusiasts all over the world are some of those.

Cheers
Constantino

PS- This is a brand new one. Look at the teeth. They are huge. There is a red form I do not have yet.
I call it Dyckia cão(dog) for my own reasons. Enjoy it. I still do not know how to post bigger shots.
Bild
JoachimInB

Re: Joachim I do think so

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Constantino Gastaldi hat geschrieben:But funny enough, the most dangerous enemy for our native plants and animals are those who feed on Brazilian beef, uses Brazilian timber and writes on Brazilian paper.
I think this will soon be much worse if we all start driving using brazilian "bio" fuel :cry:

Anyway, more of those pictures, please! Do you have pictures of Dy. goehringii in habiat?

Cheers,
Joachim
Constantino Gastaldi

Nein meine freud Joachim, Ich habe nich

Ich habe keine photo von Dyckia goehringii zu nature...Meine Got, meine Deutche ist zerr krank!
My German is a case of maddness! Better my also broken English. Dear Joachm I have not been in Dyckia goeheringii site. Friends of mone were! It is a very controversial Dyckia here ´cause there are two or mor sites with it and thus some differences exists. Tose red/wine and silvery comes from the most recent place. The site of this bone sculpture like is hold as the most precous secret by one or two collectors and researchers. My plants of this wee got through plant exchange. I traded it with one Dyckia ibiramensis a much more rare species of Santa Catarina. Your plants will turn to be, and I am sure, the most splendid ones you ever had. Take care of them.
..and whart about coming too Santa Catarina? Here a third of us speack German as you do! You would feel safe and happy.....( My wife says I can live several lives and even so would I never speak a decent German. She does wery well.)
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Happy new year first of all!

I am wondering how your various Dyckia goehringii have developed. Here is mine:
Bild
It looks more and more like a real Dyckia goehringii, but as always with these plants, one cannot probably be completely sure whether it is pure-strain or an accidental hybrid. Anyway it is becoming a beautiful plant and the tag states that it was grown from seeds.

Cheers,
Joachim
chanin

Beitrag von chanin »

Up to date, the plant was blooming months ago.

Bild

Bild
Constantino Gastaldi

Yes congartulatios and of course welcome back again!

[align=center]Yes this is a true genuine pure Species Dyckia goehringii. I wonder how it made it to you but this is always an epic. You will need another pure strain to get to seeds as this baby is not self fertile.
We can not state too much even with a plant in hands, imagine by pictures. But all odds lead to a genuine Dyckia goehringii and in need of another one.
Congratulations!
People are especulating why had you vanished from all the forums you used to be. It is nice to hear from you again. Dickias do not need to be pure to be gorgeous or dazzling and some hybrids in your collection are just stunning ones.
Be at easy and be bach again.We missed the beauty and luxury of your plants.
They are GORGEOUS even though some joked on this fabulous word!!!
GerFi

Dyckia goeringii seed

Beitrag von GerFi »

Hallo Dear Chanin, Dear Constantino,

yesterday i got by chance seed of Dyckia goeringii by the DBG-Samenversand.

That a chance to extend the base of individuel in cultur

Bild

Bild

Bild

Cheers
GerFi
JoachimInB

Beitrag von JoachimInB »

Chanin, you are alive, welcome back to the forum!

Great picture, it's a pleasure to see how your Dy. goehringii has taken off. And it's also a good news because this is a sibling of my plant. And both were seed grown! Constantino, there must be a real chance for this species to be self fertile as otherwise we would not be talking about pure strain here.

You know, Constantino, in theory Dy. goehringii self-sterile. And in theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not. :ewhistle
Antworten